"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Master Chef
Venting.... wisdom teeth

When are you supposed to be rid of these horrible things? I thought that they come in by early 20's. I'm over 40.

A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Master Chef
Did you ask your dentist. I took my son to the dentist monday for his 6 month cleaning and they did a panorama x-ray. It showed his already and he'll be 14 in Nov. Dr. said he'd be getting them out when he's 16 or 17. I would definitely ask your dentist about it.

Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Master Chef
i'd seek a different opinion.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
Hey Luvs, good to see you!

VB, it can totally vary from person to person, but I would have thought you would be done with them by now. Has your dentist shown you the xrays? Are you having pain? I would agree with Luvs regarding a second opinion, but I would ask your dentist to refer you to a dental surgeon - they may not "operate" but are the best ones to deal with this sort of thing.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Master Chef
Site Moderator
It can vary but I'd ask you dentist as already suggested. I still have mine. They came in during college, no pain, nothing. As a college student there was no $$ for dentist so it wasn't till much later that I gave it any thought. My dentist says that as long as I can keep them clean, there are no problems with them and she can get at them to work on them they can stay. That was the final confirmation that I really do have a big mouth...
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
I still have two of my four wisdom teeth. They cam in in my late teens. My dentist took out the two on one side because of cavities. The other two are still there (I'm in my 60s). They'll go to the grave with you if there are no problems.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
i had all mine out in my late thirties. no room in my mouth for them. it was not a fun thing to have done. lots of pain and dry sockets. but if they hurt you out they should come.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
It depends if you need them out or not! Most people only start developing them in their late teens and twenties. Mine started coming in early and I got mine removed when I was 15 because it was thought they were linked to my migraines... wrong!
semlerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Master Chef
You know, if I did not come to America I would have not known that "wisdom teeth" could be a problem. Mine came out when I was in late teens, never hurt, never botherd me, never made me feel uncomfortable. I think because of big hupla around them people expect the problem and pane etc. I had mine removed when I was 35, I wish I did not, removinf was a pain in the neck, well more like pain in the mouth.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Master Chef
I have not been to the dentist yet.. I have a phobia with that, but it's going to happen very soon.

A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote