Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first went in to see her she gave me meclizine, and transderm patches. I never took any of it. :ermm: I hate medicines that make me drowsy. I will see what the MRI shows on Wednesday and go from there. I'm not expecting much but one can always hope for the magic cure!

Meclizine does not make you drowsy. It is one of the milder anti-nausea medication. But it is affective. Sometimes I have to take two. And I don't get drowsy at all. :)

i get terrible vertigo, too. it's a bitch if you love to fish the middle and north atlantic, especially night fishing.

bt, I can't even watch on TV or a movie when the camera is focused on the bow of a ship cutting through the water. I get vertigo and start vomiting instantly.

The first time I got vertigo, I was out in the middle of Boston Harbor. The old aircraft carrier JFK was in port. It was the 4th of July. They had brought out the USS Constitution for her yearly turn around. No boats can have their engine running. You have to throw your anchor. We were stuck there until Old Ironsdes was back in her berth. I was laying on the deck deathly ill with vertigo. I remember hearing the guns from Old Ironsides saluting the JFK and the return salute. The next thing I remember was going up in the air into the helicopter. I was sun stroke, dehydrated and had vertigo very bad. They took me right to the hospital. I was unconscience most of the time. I was in the hospital for four days. I didn't come to until the fourth day.

I cannot look at sea water. Walk over bridges where water is running. See boats moving in water. When any of these things come into my life, I have to look away or close my eyes. When we had the Tall Ships come to Boston, I couldn't stay. We had perfect seats. The boats were coming right toward us before they turned. I got violently sick and had to leave.

Vertigo is a nasty illness. I wouldn't wish it on an ex husband. :wacko:

Last edited:
A friend suffers from vertigo, which she generally experiences before a migraine. The doctors have never been able to figure out the cause or how to treat it. She has learned to live with both.

Medicine can ease vertigo. But you do have to learn to live with it. There is no known cure as far as I know. Just treatment.:(

I assume it was a Dr. who diagnosed your vertigo. What did he offer to ease the symptoms? I'd assume he knows more about you and this disease than any of us.

There are at least three different types of inner ear issues that cause vertigo. What type do you have? Treatments are different.

He gave me antibiotics for a lung infection I have still from last week, but nothing for my vertigo. He also told me to stop drinking so much water.. which is right when I told him i'd go to my family doctor for a second opinion. :mellow:

Several years ago I woke up at 6:30am with vertigo. I barely made it to the bathroom to throw up. I spent the next hour and a half on the bathroom floor because every time I opened my eyes or tried to move I had to throw up. Ten minutes before I was supposed to be at work I finally made it to the phone to call in sick. Fortunately I had a very good para who could take my class. When the doctor's office opened he told me over the phone that I had a virus that was going around & there wasn't really anything to do but wait it out. I spent a week in bed with my eyes closed. If I opened them the room would spin. I went back to work the next week but it was months before I stopped having moments of spinning and nausea.

That's exactly how I was 2 nights ago. I was spinning so bad I couldn't stop throwing up. Yesterday it all started in line at a cash, at a store. I had to go back to the car and leave my stuff. Thankfully I was with my Mom, who kept on (and drove)

If the vertigo is a recent problem, it could be related to an infection. If that was the case, antibiotics are appropriate for the vertigo and the infection. My SO has inner ear issues and takes a diuretic daily to flush out excess water so cutting back on water seems logical as well.

I've never had an ear infection, which is what's confusing me. My ear doesn't even hurt now *shrug*

Bella, In case you check up here...

I had my return appointment today. The MRI did not show anything (thank God). I even threw in a few extra questions unrelated to my vertigo. (Are you sure it didn't show anything, like early alzheimers... :angel:) She was quite sure I was fine in the brain! (One could beg to differ)

Anyway.. both of my ears are showing small amounts of fluid so she is putting me on a mild diuretic (Andy mentioned this in a previous post) and I have an appointment set for July 2nd at the ENT doctor to get a few tests.

Hope you are doing ok!

Back
Top Bottom