Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bella99

Cook
Has anyone ever had vertigo? I got diagnosed today. Does anyone know how to ease the symptoms? I can't handle the "Just went on a roller coaster 2334534 times" feeling. It was so bad and I was so 'spinning' last night, I couldn't stop being sick (you know what I mean? lol..)
:(

if it is caused by an inbalance of pressure in the eustachian tubes, a light application of the Valsalva Maneuver should help.

or ask your doctor for a drug called meclizine. it will treat the spinning and nausea until the cause of the roblem is determined. it might be an inner ear infection that can be treated with antibiotics.

Last edited:
Bella, I have been going through this for about 4 months now. It mostly happens when I lay on my right side or look up which has led me to believe it is BPPV (in which case, the Valsalva Maneuver which Craig posted has a high success rate). I also went for a MRI at my Doctors recommendation. The MRI was about 2 months ago and my doctor couldn't seem to fit me in for the follow up until this Wednesday :mad:

I haven't pursued it heavily mainly because my child has been very sick so I have been looking after him. Hopefully nothing serious comes back with the MRI and I will go from there with an appointment at outpatient physical therapy for the maneuver or off to a ear/ nose/ throat doctor. :wacko:

I can truly empathize, it is a awful feeling. I actually tried to do the maneuver on myself and I spun so violently that I quit!

On edit, they did give me the medicines too, I just haven't been taking them until I see that there is nothing that can be fixed :(

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had vertigo? I got diagnosed today. Does anyone know how to ease the symptoms? I can't handle the "Just went on a roller coaster 2334534 times" feeling. It was so bad and I was so 'spinning' last night, I couldn't stop being sick (you know what I mean? lol..)
:(

I assume it was a Dr. who diagnosed your vertigo. What did he offer to ease the symptoms? I'd assume he knows more about you and this disease than any of us.

There are at least three different types of inner ear issues that cause vertigo. What type do you have? Treatments are different.

lol, the discusscooking medical team!

dr. craigsy, dr. bucky, dr. merlot, and nurse auntie m.

lol, the discusscooking medical team!

dr. craigsy, dr. bucky, dr. merlot, and dr. auntie m.

lol, I am very familiar with it atm sadly enough, and I did forget to add that we tried antibiotics first! There are many different causes!

One of you other docs need to fix me and Bella ASAP! :)

i get terrible vertigo, too. it's a bitch if you love to fish the middle and north atlantic, especially night fishing.

i get terrible vertigo, too. it's a bitch if you love to fish the middle and north atlantic, especially night fishing.

Well great! Now I'm going to worry everytime you say that you are going night fishing! :blink: The most I will do is fall out of the bed :ROFLMAO:

Did you have ear infections as a child? I have had vertigo now for more than 20 years. It is a horrible feeling. You can't put your head back and look at tall buildings. Can't turn too quickly. You always have to remember to turn your head slowly. Going on water in a boat is probably the worst thing you can do. there are several drugs that your doctor can prescribe. One is meclizine, another is promethazine. There are more. Promethazine is very strong and recommended for severe cases that resist treatment. You need to peak with your doctor about some medicine to have on hand for when you have an event of vertigo. If you can get the medicine in you as soon as you feel an event starting, you just might be able to stop it. Or at least reduce its severity. DO NOT DRINK WATER with the pills if you are feeling nausea. It will defeat the pills. Take them with a small sip of milk.

More than once the paramedics have found me on the floor unable to help myself. I keep my door unlocked at all times. My very first episode of vertigo put me in the hospital for four days. Vertigo does not get better.

It is not the end of the world. You can learn to live with vertigo. You just have to remember not to make quick turns or look straight up with your head tipped way back. :)

lol. i prefer boats with a rail that's higher than my center of gravity.

i'm the "chummer" of the group if i forget to take meclizine or dramamine.

Did you have ear infections as a child? .....

Interesting, I did. I had them at least every 2 weeks. Often enough that they wanted to put tubes in my ears.
I have always had a dizzy sensation from looking up. This violent spinning sensation just started.

Interesting, I did. I had them at least every 2 weeks. Often enough that they wanted to put tubes in my ears.
I have always had a dizzy sensation from looking up. This violent spinning sensation just started.

Do you have medication for it? I keep my pills right beside my bed within reach. And I keep a few with me when I leave home. I never know when it is going to strike. It is not a fun problem to have. Sometimes I have to ignore the directions and take a second pill within 20 minutes.

Right now I am on medication for my angina that makes me dizzy when I lay down. Crazy at it sounds, that is one of the side effects. Sometimes it is so severe that I have passed out. It is a good thing I am on my bed laying down and not standing. Right now between the vertigo and the effect from the pills for angiina, I feel I am living in slow motion. No fast moves for me. :wacko:

lol, well it certainly hasn't slowed anyone's wits now, has it? bunch o' queasy wise guys...

Do you have medication for it? I keep my pills right beside my bed within reach. And I keep a few with me when I leave home. I never know when it is going to strike. It is not a fun problem to have. Sometimes I have to ignore the directions and take a second pill within 20 minutes.

Right now I am on medication for my angina that makes me dizzy when I lay down. Crazy at it sounds, that is one of the side effects. Sometimes it is so severe that I have passed out. It is a good thing I am on my bed laying down and not standing. Right now between the vertigo and the effect from the pills for angiina, I feel I am living in slow motion. No fast moves for me. :wacko:

When I first went in to see her she gave me meclizine, and transderm patches. I never took any of it. :ermm: I hate medicines that make me drowsy. I will see what the MRI shows on Wednesday and go from there. I'm not expecting much but one can always hope for the magic cure!

Several years ago I woke up at 6:30am with vertigo. I barely made it to the bathroom to throw up. I spent the next hour and a half on the bathroom floor because every time I opened my eyes or tried to move I had to throw up. Ten minutes before I was supposed to be at work I finally made it to the phone to call in sick. Fortunately I had a very good para who could take my class. When the doctor's office opened he told me over the phone that I had a virus that was going around & there wasn't really anything to do but wait it out. I spent a week in bed with my eyes closed. If I opened them the room would spin. I went back to work the next week but it was months before I stopped having moments of spinning and nausea.

A friend suffers from vertigo, which she generally experiences before a migraine. The doctors have never been able to figure out the cause or how to treat it. She has learned to live with both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom