"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
In Iowa, on Hiway 20 somewhere the other side of Petersburg I think, there is a roadside rest area with an artesian well. The water just comes up out of the ground and is always cold even in mid summer. We used to stop there all the time to fill a bottle or two.
That would be really neat to have nearby. We have a well, and it has a filter, but sometimes the water seems a little dirty to me. Not very often, but now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272
The problem with sodas is they are made with high fructose corn syrup, we prefer the Mexican or Caribbean sodas made with cane sugar. There is also a locale manufacturer or two here that uses cane sugar. We like the taste better and it is not as bad as the high fructose corn syrup is.
I didn't realize they are made with cane sugar. That's really interesting.

Just a little note: This was intended to be a fun thread! Being older, I can remember everyone talking about the rising costs of everything, and it was sometimes followed by, "Someday they're going to start charging for water!" (or air) Of course we knew that was ridiculous because we knew that no one would really sell water! So this silly "quiz" was just intended to point out the irony, in that we believed it was a silly notion, and now they are actually selling us water.

Barbara

Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
Master Chef

Do I still have to wait 5 years to take the poll?? LOL!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'll let you slide by!

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Please do not think me combative, but, my third question would have to be why do we pay for water? If you do the math, we are paying more for water than we are for gas, even at today's gas prices.

The water in NYC has been certified to be sufficiently clean that it does not need to be filtered. Yes tap water in some homes has a taste to it. Filters are available up to and including Reverse Osmosis (RO) units and Ultra Violet (UV) sterilizers. The cost of these things over time mill turn a nuice profit for you over the cost of bottled water.

I do buy some water as a matter of convenience. I am not a sourpus.

For those of us over 40, do you remember when about the only bottled water was Perrier? Some guy over in France messed up cleaning a filter and there was a huge recall and the door opened to the whole bottled water industry.

It still costs more than gas.

AC

BTW - Does anyone remember the Penn & Teller episode where they put a warer concierge in at a big restauraunt and were filling all the bottles from a garden hose out back and people were raving about one water over another?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Master Chef

you mean safe water is free???? Who would have thought? Always had to buy water in Egypt, India, and now in KZ......and we have our choice of vater vith gaz or still vater. That is the local interp of English and they know what you want---even when I'm home in TX I still hesitate drinking tap water cause you don't do it in KZ unless you want to spin the wheel of misfortune and win the "Quick Weight Loss Fast" card!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Please do not think me combative, but, my third question would have to be why do we pay for water? If you do the math, we are paying more for water than we are for gas, even at today's gas prices.

The water in NYC has been certified to be sufficiently clean that it does not need to be filtered. Yes tap water in some homes has a taste to it. Filters are available up to and including Reverse Osmosis (RO) units and Ultra Violet (UV) sterilizers. The cost of these things over time mill turn a nuice profit for you over the cost of bottled water.

I do buy some water as a matter of convenience. I am not a sourpus.

For those of us over 40, do you remember when about the only bottled water was Perrier? Some guy over in France messed up cleaning a filter and there was a huge recall and the door opened to the whole bottled water industry.

It still costs more than gas.

AC

BTW - Does anyone remember the Penn & Teller episode where they put a warer concierge in at a big restauraunt and were filling all the bottles from a garden hose out back and people were raving about one water over another?
There is a thread in the Beverage forum just for this. Bottled Water
I started this thread in Off Topic, Jokes,... for a different purpose--to give people a little laugh.

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
you mean safe water is free???? Who would have thought? Always had to buy water in Egypt, India, and now in KZ......and we have our choice of vater vith gaz or still vater. That is the local interp of English and they know what you want---even when I'm home in TX I still hesitate drinking tap water cause you don't do it in KZ unless you want to spin the wheel of misfortune and win the "Quick Weight Loss Fast" card!!
Yikes! I don't like the taste of tap water, but I'm glad it is readily available here.

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I'm reminded of an episode of Penn & Teller BS about bottled water. If you can handle profanity-laced libertarian/skeptic propaganda, it's an entertaining way to waste 30 minutes! In one of their experiments, they had a "water steward" at an upscale restaurant serving customers glasses of bottled water with exotic names and descriptions...all of which they filled straight from the Los Angeles city water system! Everyone identified them as having different flavors!

I buy bottled water at work ($0.50) when I forget to bring in my reusable bottle. Frankly, I like the drinking fountain water better.

And I'm not 40, but I'm also not a bottled water fan. Very few of the billions (yes billions) of dollars Americans spend on bottled water each year are mine.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Of course tap water is very different in different areas. In some places it isn't too bad. In fact, in taste tests some tap water has been preferred to bottled water. In some areas, however, it is truly horrible.

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
NYC water, FTW!