Very Short Quiz for People Over 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I was thirsty and wanted some water. That got me to thinking. Not always a good thing! LOL Anyway, for those of you over 40, here is your quiz:

1. Do you remember when you were younger and said, "Someday they're going to start charging us for water?"

2. What is your favorite brand of bottled water?

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:That's it. Just two little questions. I never thought I would be paying to buy water, but I do!

:)Barbara

Yes, and I dont buy water.

By the way, the bottled water craze has come full circle.

First it was CLEAN PURE WATER.

Then, they added some flavor.. CLEAR KOOL AID

Now, they have added one more ingredient to the flavored water:

CARBONATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you say SODA???? Sure you can.

I will laugh whenever I see someone toting around an Everclear Carbonated Flavored Water bottle, thinking they are healthier because they are drinking water instead of soda.

The Marketing World should be complimented for the entire "Water" marketing campaign. It was brilliant!

GrillingFool ... while I see your perspective, is it worth conceding that bottled water is a healthier choice than a can or bottle of soda? Frankly, I have a kidney issue and have no choice but to drink enough to pee a certain amount each day. If it keeps me out of the other vending machine, it's not necessarily a bad choice. For me, in situations where there is not a fountain or fresh source, I think those marketing people deserve a big ole wet sloppy kiss, thankyouverymuch. :)

p.s. bottled water can be a real Godsend in disasters as well.

p.s.s. No I do not recall that saying, but I like Figi although I can't afford it. My parents have access to the very best (and coldest!) water down by the river in Seney (upper Michigan). Since that's 4 hours away, I try to stick with the Artesian water versus "spring water" varieties, but always buy what's cheapest (as long as it doesn't say purified or filtered).

In Iowa, on Hiway 20 somewhere the other side of Petersburg I think, there is a roadside rest area with an artesian well. The water just comes up out of the ground and is always cold even in mid summer. We used to stop there all the time to fill a bottle or two.

The problem with sodas is they are made with high fructose corn syrup, we prefer the Mexican or Caribbean sodas made with cane sugar. There is also a locale manufacturer or two here that uses cane sugar. We like the taste better and it is not as bad as the high fructose corn syrup is.

Andrea...
When the bottled water has flavor and carbonation added, it is no longer "bottled water".
It is a soda.
A carbonated, sweetened bottle of water.
Might as well have a Diet Coke.

If you want to drink bottled water, be my guest. I understand that many people prefer it to tap water.
It just amazes me that people will pay so much for some of them, when you can get it from your sink.
You might have gathered, I am not in the "bottled is better water" camp.

Depends on where you live, some places like with Stacy bottled is safer and better, or at least a really really good filter on the tap. At our place in the country in Iowa growing up we had to move to putting stuff in the well and filtering because of all the chemicals the farmers dumped on their land, made it undrinkable otherwise.
Myself, my tap is good and I don't even have to worry about a filter so I only buy bottled water when I am out as it is better than even diet pop (even it can be bad for you). I once did a taste test in the kitchen between cold tap water, water thru the fridge which has a filter on it, and bottled water. No one could tell any differences between the fridge water and the bottled water except with Fiji water (love that stuff). There was a difference between the tap water and the fridge and bottled water, but that is taste not necessity or safety.
I agree with GF though, the line between the flavored waters and pop are getting blurred, and it was a neat marketing trick!

In Iowa, on Hiway 20 somewhere the other side of Petersburg I think, there is a roadside rest area with an artesian well. The water just comes up out of the ground and is always cold even in mid summer. We used to stop there all the time to fill a bottle or two.
That would be really neat to have nearby. We have a well, and it has a filter, but sometimes the water seems a little dirty to me. Not very often, but now and then.

Maverick2272 said:
The problem with sodas is they are made with high fructose corn syrup, we prefer the Mexican or Caribbean sodas made with cane sugar. There is also a locale manufacturer or two here that uses cane sugar. We like the taste better and it is not as bad as the high fructose corn syrup is.
I didn't realize they are made with cane sugar. That's really interesting.

Just a little note: This was intended to be a fun thread! Being older, I can remember everyone talking about the rising costs of everything, and it was sometimes followed by, "Someday they're going to start charging for water!" (or air) Of course we knew that was ridiculous because we knew that no one would really sell water! So this silly "quiz" was just intended to point out the irony, in that we believed it was a silly notion, and now they are actually selling us water. :angel:

Please do not think me combative, but, my third question would have to be why do we pay for water? If you do the math, we are paying more for water than we are for gas, even at today's gas prices.

The water in NYC has been certified to be sufficiently clean that it does not need to be filtered. Yes tap water in some homes has a taste to it. Filters are available up to and including Reverse Osmosis (RO) units and Ultra Violet (UV) sterilizers. The cost of these things over time mill turn a nuice profit for you over the cost of bottled water.

I do buy some water as a matter of convenience. I am not a sourpus.

For those of us over 40, do you remember when about the only bottled water was Perrier? Some guy over in France messed up cleaning a filter and there was a huge recall and the door opened to the whole bottled water industry.

It still costs more than gas.

AC

BTW - Does anyone remember the Penn & Teller episode where they put a warer concierge in at a big restauraunt and were filling all the bottles from a garden hose out back and people were raving about one water over another?

Last edited:
you mean safe water is free???? Who would have thought? Always had to buy water in Egypt, India, and now in KZ......and we have our choice of vater vith gaz or still vater. That is the local interp of English and they know what you want---even when I'm home in TX I still hesitate drinking tap water cause you don't do it in KZ unless you want to spin the wheel of misfortune and win the "Quick Weight Loss Fast" card!!

Please do not think me combative, but, my third question would have to be why do we pay for water? If you do the math, we are paying more for water than we are for gas, even at today's gas prices.

The water in NYC has been certified to be sufficiently clean that it does not need to be filtered. Yes tap water in some homes has a taste to it. Filters are available up to and including Reverse Osmosis (RO) units and Ultra Violet (UV) sterilizers. The cost of these things over time mill turn a nuice profit for you over the cost of bottled water.

I do buy some water as a matter of convenience. I am not a sourpus.

For those of us over 40, do you remember when about the only bottled water was Perrier? Some guy over in France messed up cleaning a filter and there was a huge recall and the door opened to the whole bottled water industry.

It still costs more than gas.

AC

BTW - Does anyone remember the Penn & Teller episode where they put a warer concierge in at a big restauraunt and were filling all the bottles from a garden hose out back and people were raving about one water over another?
There is a thread in the Beverage forum just for this. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f122/bottled-water-47283.html#post629968
I started this thread in Off Topic, Jokes,... for a different purpose--to give people a little laugh.

:ermm:Barbara

you mean safe water is free???? Who would have thought? Always had to buy water in Egypt, India, and now in KZ......and we have our choice of vater vith gaz or still vater. That is the local interp of English and they know what you want---even when I'm home in TX I still hesitate drinking tap water cause you don't do it in KZ unless you want to spin the wheel of misfortune and win the "Quick Weight Loss Fast" card!!
Yikes! I don't like the taste of tap water, but I'm glad it is readily available here.

I'm reminded of an episode of Penn & Teller BS about bottled water. If you can handle profanity-laced libertarian/skeptic propaganda, it's an entertaining way to waste 30 minutes! In one of their experiments, they had a "water steward" at an upscale restaurant serving customers glasses of bottled water with exotic names and descriptions...all of which they filled straight from the Los Angeles city water system! Everyone identified them as having different flavors!

I buy bottled water at work ($0.50) when I forget to bring in my reusable bottle. Frankly, I like the drinking fountain water better.

And I'm not 40, but I'm also not a bottled water fan. Very few of the billions (yes billions) of dollars Americans spend on bottled water each year are mine.

Last edited:
Of course tap water is very different in different areas. In some places it isn't too bad. In fact, in taste tests some tap water has been preferred to bottled water. In some areas, however, it is truly horrible.

:neutral:Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom