Very sick grandbaby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Well, I guess 10 years old is past being a baby, but my little grandson is in Barnes Children's Hospital in St. Louis. He'd had the stomach flu all weekend, and kept getting weaker and weaker, and my daughter took him to the doctor yesterday. Not only was he dehydrated, but his blood sugar level was 400, even though he hadn't eaten anything in two days. The doctor sent him to the hospital (a bigger one, down the road from us), and told my daughter not to be surprised if they didn't send him to St. Louis. When he got to the hospital, they checked his sugar again, this time from the wrist instead of the finger, and the level was 644. They put him on an insulin/saline drip and called Barnes Hospital. Barnes sent a special team in a helicopter, and 40 minutes later he was in their ICU.
Daughter called this morning, and his sugar's under 250 now, which is as low as they want it to go with the drip, and they'll be moving him to a regular room sometime today. The doctor told her that their biggest concern was that the brain could swell, and they came in every hour to wake him up and ask him his name, birthday, etc. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

He does have juvenile diabetes, and the doctor says he'll be on shots of insulin from here on out. Sigh...poor little guy.

Last edited:
Oh Connie,
I'm so sorry, I wish I could do something to help him and to ease your pain. All I can do is pray for him and offer you any advice that might help.Lets pray for him right now and send him all the good and positive thoughts we can.
hugs to you both and his mom too.

kadesma

Oh dear, I hate this for the little guy and the family. It seems to be something we hear about but never hear about first hand. My thoughts are with him.

Thank you, dear friends. I really appreciate your support.

It was a scary night last night for all of us. I hated not being there with my daughter (physically), but her husband, and her dad and his wife were there, and she and I talked on the phone several times. She'd been putting up a brave front for her little boy, but was finally able to let down for a minute, and while we were talking, she finally broke down and sobbed.

Last edited:
I don't blame you for being worried. I am praying for your grandson and the whole family.

I'm glad your grandson's finally went down quite a bit. One of the men in James's training program has sugar levels that he can't seem to get below 600 (and that is with an insulin pump).

I belong to a couple Yahoo diabetes groups. Some of the people in the groups are parents and grandparents of kids with diabetes. You might want to check them out to see if there is anything helpful there.

:)Barbara

Prayers go out to your grandson Constance. We went through something similar with our oldest son when he was 2 and he bounced right back. Trust that he will be alright.

I'm very worried right now.
My daughter hasn't called, and we have been trying for two hours, but can't get hold of her or her husband.
DH just sent a text message to both.

I'm very worried right now.
My daughter hasn't called, and we have been trying for two hours, but can't get hold of her or her husband.
DH just sent a text message to both.

hold on Connie, I'm the world's worst at jumping to the worst. They may be with the doctor or something. HUGS!!
1.gif

Connie, there is nothing worst than when a child is sick. My thoughts and prayers are with your grandson. God Bless him.

I'm so sorry that sounds terribly scary. I will pray for you all.

Connie, I'm so sorry to hear that your grandbaby is so ill! Bless his heart, having to deal with diabetes at this age. He must be a very special little boy. I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers for him and for the rest of you as well.

Connie, you have my heartfelt concern and thoughts for your little grand son.
Having in the last few days had a real anxiety when our grand daughter was admitted to the High Dependency Unit in the Hospital your shock, care and concern is very real to me and I hope most sincerely that things will improve very soon.

Back
Top Bottom