Very Strange and still a mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Yesterday when I went out to start the coals for dinner, there were two Walmart bags with flour and wheat tortillas and two bags of corn tortilla chips sitting on the hood of Karen's car. Nothing was open and no note was left. None of the neighbors said anything about it. If it was a gift, I hope the folks that left it realize no one we know would eat something not knowing where it came from. I tossed everything.

That is strange.

One time, after I got home from having dinner with friends, I found a bag of Middle Eastern groceries in the back seat of my car. After thinking about it for a while, it occurred to me that I I had just had dinner at a Middle Eastern restaurant and thought maybe someone there had put them there by mistake. So I called and sure enough, it belonged to the assistant manager. So I took them back the next day and they gave me a gift certificate for lunch.

I know that's probably not relevant to your experience. It's just a funny story with a yummy ending ;)

My first thought was that maybe somebody had picked up some groceries for somebody else. But, you'd think that anybody that was close enough to somebody to shop for them would know where they live. And, they were left after Craig got home from work but before he went out to grill so both my car and his truck were in the driveway. They had to walk past his truck to get to my car as the driveway is just wide enough for 1 vehicle.

Strange for sure. What I don't understand is why you threw everything away if the packages of food were sealed.

Just because they are sealed doesn't mean they haven't been injected with something. My neighbor came home and found a large bag of unopened cat chow on her steps. No note so she threw it out. She said why take the chance.

Strange for sure. What I don't understand is why you threw everything away if the packages of food were sealed.

He did the right thing.

If the person couldn't leave a note. Pass his truck to deliberately leave it on his wife's car, that bag would have been tossed by my husband as well.
Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid.People have been known to taint food.

Should the person call later and ask about it. I hope they tell them they tossed it and give them a reason as to why.That way in the future the giver might have a little more consideration and leave a note.

Munky Badger.

As a P.S.

Why didn't the person just wait and make sure they were home and knock on the door to give it to them?

That would have put all doubts aside.

This reminds me of something I totally forgot about until now. About 20 years ago a friend and I were coming back from L.A. and decided to take a side canyon road in the Palmdale area to look around. We stumbled upon an animal preserve, stopped, got out of the car and walked a short distance to look at some beautiful tigers in a large, shady, fenced area.

When we got back to the car, there was a beautiful tray of chocolate chip cookies on the front seat, wrapped in cellophane with a bow. We looked up in time to see Tippi Hedren walking towards us, big smile, telling us she hoped we enjoy the cookies and bottled water she left us. She owns the Shambala Preserve :LOL: - what a sweet and gracious lady. She took us on a private tour to look at the rest of the beautiful animals in that lovely setting. :)

http://www.shambala.org/about.htm

Last edited:
Possible taint is why he threw them away. You just never know. But also, what an odd thing to leave as well. Tortillas and chips?

When he first told me, I asked him if everything was still outside? His Big Green Egg, the Weber and the Horizon are all out there, plus his gas cooker and gas cannister are in a deck box up close to the house under the carport (it's a long driveway), as well as a few other grilling extras like the pizza oven piece, rotissarie, etc. As well, he had filled 4-5 of the big gasoline containers when the hurricane was headed our way for the generator in case we needed them and has been using them to put gas in the car as it has been needed so they are out there too, as he just finished emptying the last one (I don't drive much). He also hadn't put the ladder away yet either. But, nope, nothing is missing. So, it wasn't that somebody got sticky fingered and sacrificed their groceries. Unless of course they were going to get sticky fingered and got scared off by the dogs barking, which they do on and off all day so I have no idea whether or not they did yesterday since it's such a common place thing. Strider barks at EVERYTHING. I hope he calms down as he gets older.

Nobody has been by so far or called today other than UPS so it remains a mystery.

As a P.S.

Why didn't the person just wait and make sure they were home and knock on the door to give it to them?

That would have put all doubts aside.

I think it's more likely that it was a mistake rather than a gift. Just guessing, but I think someone had the wrong address and maybe they passed Craig's truck and put it on medtran's car because it was less visible from the street?

Not knowing anything about it, though, I probably would have tossed it, too.

And I'm just amazed that at least 2 of you leave your car doors unlocked on a regular basis. We would never do that, even if there's nothing of value being left in the car. Guess that comes from living in a large metropolitan area. There's always news stories of women having their purses stolen out of their car while they are standing there pumping gas (they sneak in from the other side) or while they run their kid into school. Heck, a police officer had her purse stolen just within the past couple of weeks while she was pumping gas and her service weapon was in it! :wacko: And it's not just in bad areas either.

Who said anything about leaving cars unlocked on a 'regular basis'? It's a different world now than it was 20 years ago, and this was in a one road in, one road out private location.

My car is ALWAYS locked now. Even when it's garaged.

And I'm just amazed that at least 2 of you leave your car doors unlocked on a regular basis. We would never do that, even if there's nothing of value being left in the car. Guess that comes from living in a large metropolitan area. There's always news stories of women having their purses stolen out of their car while they are standing there pumping gas (they sneak in from the other side) or while they run their kid into school. Heck, a police officer had her purse stolen just within the past couple of weeks while she was pumping gas and her service weapon was in it! :wacko: And it's not just in bad areas either.

I almost always lock my car. Don't know why I forgot that one time, and I was very puzzled about how those groceries got in the back seat, but it's not a regular thing. And I usually put my keys in my pocket when I get gas, for the very reason you mentioned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom