"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My dad was in France, too. Actually, he was all over Europe and in Africa once. He fought in five major campaigns, so only had to serve three years instead of four.
He told me this story a few months ago, about how he and a buddy were playing poker in France and how he won big. The French guys took both of them over to the bar to buy them each a drink. Next thing he knows, he wakes up in the gutter. He said they put his friend on a bench, but layed him right in the street, lol. He said it cost him a promotion because he missed curfew.
I guess the French have a different way of showing their appreciation for Americans saving their country.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Everymom

In the Canadian Navy, everyone was issued a daily ration of rum. SOME people were savvy enough to save it up to go on a good bender. (not naming any names though!) So the Captain on Dad's ship decreed that the rum be given with an ounce of water so it couldn't be "saved up". Apparently if you pour that mixture over raisins, the raisins will absorb the water and leave most of the alcohol behind. Also...the raisins will suck up some of the alcohol and if you ate them...well...you get the picture. Navy boys can be pretty nutty apparently!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I always call my dad on veterans day to thank him. He fought in WWII and Korea. We have several other people in our family who have served the country, including my sister, my husband and myself.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My dad served during the Korean War, with the US Air Force. My favorite picture of him was of a very handsome young man in uniform. He died in 2006.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

a belated thanks to all our servicemen and vets, especially my grandfather - a wwi vet who received 2 purple hearts and lived the remainder of his life with bullets in his legs from the second injury; to my dad who served in wwii, from normandy, through belgium, and on to eastern europe; and my brother who served in viet nam.

god bless you all for preserving our freedom.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #16
Executive Chef

We visit my Mum in the care home every day. On Friday one of her younger male friends who is wheel chair bound ask me the day before if we would take him to the local war memorial service and push his chair in the parade.He was dressed in a suit with his medals on show. He wore his Para beret.We were honored that he asked us.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile
We visit my Mum in the care home every day. On Friday one of her younger male friends who is wheel chair bound ask me the day before if we would take him to the local war memorial service and push his chair in the parade.He was dressed in a suit with his medals on show. He wore his Para beret.We were honored that he asked us.
That's so touching, Bolas. What a nice thing you did.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Senior Cook

U.S. Navy veteran

I live in a small town (pop. 13,000) where I wear my U.S.S. Columbus cap everytime I'm outdoors. It still surprises me when a stranger says "Thank You" to me for being a vet.

I enlisted in the Navy back in 1961 and enjoyed my time aboard my ship. Serving in the military runs in our family. My grandpa was career Army, my dad served in the Army in WWII as did two uncles in the Marines. One cousin joined the Air Force and my other cousin joined the Army. I'm the only sailor.

Today very few young men enlist anymore. Joining the Navy helped me grow up and gave me the chance to see foreign places. The GI Bill financed my college education. I became an elementary teacher and retired after twenty-seven years in the classroom.

I wished more young men considered joining the military.