Veteran's Day November 11, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Thank you to all the Veteran's and their families who have sacrificed to keep this country safe.

img_1070065_0_a28e376549f1b597c61ab40a633a0151.jpg

You're welcome.
And, thanks to all the vets who have served and to all active duty who are serving and most of all to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

If you are active military or a veteran, Applebee's will give you a free meal. Unfortunately there are no Applebees in my neighborhood, so I can't tell you what or how good the meal is.

I want to add my Thanks to those who have served and protected my way of life.

Grand-Daughter, Daughter and Wife of Veterans

a deep, heartfelt thank you to all veterans of this great country, for all the sacrifices you and your families have made to keep us free as a people and nation. bless you one and all. and god bless the united states of america.

My father, who faught in WWII, got a thank you plaque from the people of Norway for liberating them. It's signed by somone, but you can't read the signature.
Something tells me our servicemen don't get thank you plaques from the countries anymore...

In Canada, we call this Remembrance Day, but it is the same idea.

My father also fought in WWII and when my daughter visited France this year she got to see some of the sites dedicated to the Canadians who fought for the liberation of France. I think it brought things home to her in a more personal way.

My thanks go out to ALL veterans who fight for liberty and the freedoms many of us enjoy every day. I got an email a long time ago that I think says it all. "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English...thank a veteran."

Thanks Dad, and all the other servicemen out there who put their lives at risk everyday to preserve our freedom.

My dad was in France, too. Actually, he was all over Europe and in Africa once. He fought in five major campaigns, so only had to serve three years instead of four.
He told me this story a few months ago, about how he and a buddy were playing poker in France and how he won big. The French guys took both of them over to the bar to buy them each a drink. Next thing he knows, he wakes up in the gutter. He said they put his friend on a bench, but layed him right in the street, lol. He said it cost him a promotion because he missed curfew.

My dad was in France, too. Actually, he was all over Europe and in Africa once. He fought in five major campaigns, so only had to serve three years instead of four.
He told me this story a few months ago, about how he and a buddy were playing poker in France and how he won big. The French guys took both of them over to the bar to buy them each a drink. Next thing he knows, he wakes up in the gutter. He said they put his friend on a bench, but layed him right in the street, lol. He said it cost him a promotion because he missed curfew.

I guess the French have a different way of showing their appreciation for Americans saving their country.

In the Canadian Navy, everyone was issued a daily ration of rum. SOME people were savvy enough to save it up to go on a good bender. (not naming any names though!) So the Captain on Dad's ship decreed that the rum be given with an ounce of water so it couldn't be "saved up". Apparently if you pour that mixture over raisins, the raisins will absorb the water and leave most of the alcohol behind. Also...the raisins will suck up some of the alcohol and if you ate them...well...you get the picture. Navy boys can be pretty nutty apparently! :rolleyes:

I always call my dad on veterans day to thank him. He fought in WWII and Korea. We have several other people in our family who have served the country, including my sister, my husband and myself.

My dad served during the Korean War, with the US Air Force. My favorite picture of him was of a very handsome young man in uniform. He died in 2006.

Last edited:
a belated thanks to all our servicemen and vets, especially my grandfather - a wwi vet who received 2 purple hearts and lived the remainder of his life with bullets in his legs from the second injury; to my dad who served in wwii, from normandy, through belgium, and on to eastern europe; and my brother who served in viet nam.

god bless you all for preserving our freedom.

We visit my Mum in the care home every day. On Friday one of her younger male friends who is wheel chair bound ask me the day before if we would take him to the local war memorial service and push his chair in the parade.He was dressed in a suit with his medals on show. He wore his Para beret.We were honored that he asked us.

Bolas De Fraile said:
We visit my Mum in the care home every day. On Friday one of her younger male friends who is wheel chair bound ask me the day before if we would take him to the local war memorial service and push his chair in the parade.He was dressed in a suit with his medals on show. He wore his Para beret.We were honored that he asked us.

That's so touching, Bolas. What a nice thing you did.

U.S. Navy veteran

I live in a small town (pop. 13,000) where I wear my U.S.S. Columbus cap everytime I'm outdoors. It still surprises me when a stranger says "Thank You" to me for being a vet.

I enlisted in the Navy back in 1961 and enjoyed my time aboard my ship. Serving in the military runs in our family. My grandpa was career Army, my dad served in the Army in WWII as did two uncles in the Marines. One cousin joined the Air Force and my other cousin joined the Army. I'm the only sailor.

Today very few young men enlist anymore. Joining the Navy helped me grow up and gave me the chance to see foreign places. The GI Bill financed my college education. I became an elementary teacher and retired after twenty-seven years in the classroom.

I wished more young men considered joining the military.

Back
Top Bottom