"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Two years ago I took in a beautiful tabby and white cat because his owners could no longer keep him. He was very friendly and cuddly but had indoor issues, preferring to live outside and come in for food and a cuddle

It turned out that in the summer he slept in next door's greenhouse and in addition to the food he was eating "at home" he was sneaking through next door's cat flap and stealing their cat's food. He was more than happy with this and we suspected he also dined elsewhere.

As winter came on and the greenhouse was no longer open and he would only come into my house for the evening, the neighbours began to find him in their house in the morning at breakfast time. Eventually we discussed it and it was decided that he would go and live with them. Despite this he continued to wait for me when I got home from the stables and come in for a snack and a snooze on my bed but eventually I had to start rationing the tuna as next door said he was having trouble getting through their cat flap due to his spreading figure.

This summer he has reverted to type and sleeps in the greenhouse. I'd noticed that he's looking scruffy but put this down to living outside but he was also having difficulty chewing and was losing weight. I was about to ask if I could take him to the vet to have his teeth looked at when next door came round to say she had taken him and he has a tumour in his mouth and nothing can be done for him. Not only is he having difficulty eating but he can't wash himself. Anyway, he's on anti-inflammatories and on Friday he's going to the vets to be "put to sleep".

Such a shame because he's a lovely cat but he's about 9 years old so probably at an age when a lot of painful and probably pointless treatment would be unkind. We'll both miss him

Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
MD, so sorry to read about your fur friend's health problem.

Two of my friends lived on the same street. They both had a black tomcat who liked to go gallivanting. He would stay away from home for a couple of days at a time. One friend was visiting the other when the cat came home. They had the same cat. That poor cat was more shocked than his people.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Proud American

I am sorry, MD. That is always a terrible thing.

That is funny, taxlady!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have found wrapping a cat in a towel and standing the carrier up on its end helps get the cat in the carrier.
You, of course, are assuming the little brat will let me wrap her in a towel.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I am sorry, MD. That is always a terrible thing.

That is funny, taxlady!

Your friend,
~Cat
+1. Poor kitty, my sympathies, Mad Cook.

And Taxy!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So sorry, Mad Cook, it's tough when our furbabies are sick and old. Good thoughts going your way.

Taxlady! ROFL!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Two years ago I took in a beautiful tabby and white cat because his owners could no longer keep him.... he has a tumour in his mouth and nothing can be done for him. Not only is he having difficulty eating but he can't wash himself. Anyway, he's on anti-inflammatories and on Friday he's going to the vets to be "put to sleep".

Such a shame because he's a lovely cat but he's about 9 years old so probably at an age when a lot of painful and probably pointless treatment would be unkind. We'll both miss him
That is so sad MC. I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitty. (hug)
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #28
Master Chef

It is always difficult to bite the bullet and decide when a pet has had enough suffering. I've cried every time.

I just had a vet visit that set me back a pretty penny. Out of the blue her phenobarbital prescription went from $27 to $35! This is a monthly thing, and will be the rest of her life, and she's only 3. I drove over to Wal-Mart with the pill bottle and they said $17. Huh? The vet charged me $10 to write the prescription for her, and since we live in a small town and it is actually a controlled substance, I need to request it 3 days in advance (as I did when I bought it from the vet). Picture me .... she will probably live another dozen or so years, if our other doggies are any indication. Oh, well, she is a good girl, and is worth it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
MD, so sorry to read about your fur friend's health problem.

Two of my friends lived on the same street. They both had a black tomcat who liked to go gallivanting. He would stay away from home for a couple of days at a time. One friend was visiting the other when the cat came home. They had the same cat. That poor cat was more shocked than his people.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
Proud American

I must share this about our pets. In my home country, at one time we had a Husky. I loved him so very much! He was so wonderful!
But one day, when he was 14 years old, he lay on my bed and could not get up. I did panic, I told Mamma and Papa of this and they ran to him.
They called the veterinarian and he came to him. He checked of him and it was all too late. He was put asleep there on my bed. I was holding and hugging him and he went to sleep as I was holding him.

Now, through the tears still, I think it is best for when these times come to them, to let them sleep at home. It is much better than to put a sick dog into a car and make one become very uncomfortable.

I shall always think of this and I shall try to do this for my sweet pets. It is just an idea.

With love,
~Cat