Veterinarian Visit Day -- Rrrrrrrrrrr!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two years ago I took in a beautiful tabby and white cat because his owners could no longer keep him. He was very friendly and cuddly but had indoor issues, preferring to live outside and come in for food and a cuddle

It turned out that in the summer he slept in next door's greenhouse and in addition to the food he was eating "at home" he was sneaking through next door's cat flap and stealing their cat's food. He was more than happy with this and we suspected he also dined elsewhere.

As winter came on and the greenhouse was no longer open and he would only come into my house for the evening, the neighbours began to find him in their house in the morning at breakfast time. Eventually we discussed it and it was decided that he would go and live with them. Despite this he continued to wait for me when I got home from the stables and come in for a snack and a snooze on my bed but eventually I had to start rationing the tuna as next door said he was having trouble getting through their cat flap due to his spreading figure.

This summer he has reverted to type and sleeps in the greenhouse. I'd noticed that he's looking scruffy but put this down to living outside but he was also having difficulty chewing and was losing weight. I was about to ask if I could take him to the vet to have his teeth looked at when next door came round to say she had taken him and he has a tumour in his mouth and nothing can be done for him. Not only is he having difficulty eating but he can't wash himself. Anyway, he's on anti-inflammatories and on Friday he's going to the vets to be "put to sleep".

Such a shame because he's a lovely cat but he's about 9 years old so probably at an age when a lot of painful and probably pointless treatment would be unkind. We'll both miss him:(:cry:

Last edited:
MD, so sorry to read about your fur friend's health problem.

Two of my friends lived on the same street. They both had a black tomcat who liked to go gallivanting. He would stay away from home for a couple of days at a time. One friend was visiting the other when the cat came home. They had the same cat. :LOL: That poor cat was more shocked than his people.

I am sorry, MD. That is always a terrible thing.

That is funny, taxlady!

Your friend,
~Cat

So sorry, Mad Cook, it's tough when our furbabies are sick and old. Good thoughts going your way.

Taxlady! ROFL!!!

Two years ago I took in a beautiful tabby and white cat because his owners could no longer keep him.... he has a tumour in his mouth and nothing can be done for him. Not only is he having difficulty eating but he can't wash himself. Anyway, he's on anti-inflammatories and on Friday he's going to the vets to be "put to sleep".

Such a shame because he's a lovely cat but he's about 9 years old so probably at an age when a lot of painful and probably pointless treatment would be unkind. We'll both miss him:(:cry:
That is so sad MC. I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitty. (hug)

It is always difficult to bite the bullet and decide when a pet has had enough suffering. I've cried every time.

I just had a vet visit that set me back a pretty penny. Out of the blue her phenobarbital prescription went from $27 to $35! This is a monthly thing, and will be the rest of her life, and she's only 3. I drove over to Wal-Mart with the pill bottle and they said $17. Huh? The vet charged me $10 to write the prescription for her, and since we live in a small town and it is actually a controlled substance, I need to request it 3 days in advance (as I did when I bought it from the vet). Picture me .... she will probably live another dozen or so years, if our other doggies are any indication. Oh, well, she is a good girl, and is worth it.

MD, so sorry to read about your fur friend's health problem.

Two of my friends lived on the same street. They both had a black tomcat who liked to go gallivanting. He would stay away from home for a couple of days at a time. One friend was visiting the other when the cat came home. They had the same cat. :LOL: That poor cat was more shocked than his people.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I must share this about our pets. In my home country, at one time we had a Husky. I loved him so very much! He was so wonderful!
But one day, when he was 14 years old, he lay on my bed and could not get up. I did panic, I told Mamma and Papa of this and they ran to him.
They called the veterinarian and he came to him. He checked of him and it was all too late. He was put asleep there on my bed. I was holding and hugging him and he went to sleep as I was holding him.

Now, through the tears still, I think it is best for when these times come to them, to let them sleep at home. It is much better than to put a sick dog into a car and make one become very uncomfortable.

I shall always think of this and I shall try to do this for my sweet pets. It is just an idea.

With love,
~Cat

Now, through the tears still, I think it is best for when these times come to them, to let them sleep at home. It is much better than to put a sick dog into a car and make one become very uncomfortable.

I shall always think of this and I shall try to do this for my sweet pets. It is just an idea.

With love,
~Cat
I agree it's best at home, but it can be hard to find a vet who will come to your home. Mine wouldn't.

I think it is especially important if you have other fur friends. It gives them a chance to see and sniff the body. Then they understand. They don't just wonder what happened, if you take away one of them and never bring him/her back.

We put our old white mutt dog down at home too, Cat, many years ago. The vet came to our house. Vet was crying, I was crying, DH was crying, but the old dog peacefully died in DH's arms. Our neighbors also had to put down their old dog, and they called us over the night before to say goodbye. We'd known and loved their dog for 15 years. The vet also came out the next morning and put her down. I agree, if possible, it's good to do it at home. We've had many dogs, some who died naturally of old age and peacefully fell asleep, some with doggy Alzheimers, and who didn't know where they were. Always so hard to let go.

Tears me up every time I think of all the dogs I've loved.....

Last edited:
We put our old white mutt dog down at home too, Cat, many years ago. The vet came to our house. Vet was crying, I was crying, DH was crying, but the old dog peacefully died in DH's arms. Our neighbors also had to put down their old dog, and they called us over the night before to say goodbye. We'd known and loved their dog for 15 years. The vet also came out the next morning and put her down. I agree, if possible, it's good to do it at home. We've had many dogs, some who died naturally of old age and peacefully fell asleep, some with doggy Alzheimers, and who didn't know where they were. Always so hard to let go.

Tears me up every time I think of all the dogs I've loved.....

I also, Dawgluver. I do cry still of my Husky and the cats I love so much. When I received these precious 2 cats, Kali and Misty, and my sweetheart, Azia, I went to "shopping" for a good veterinarian. I found one! They perform house calls for no extra charge if one is an established client, even after the office hours.

It is hard for me also to think of my pets who are now away from us. But God is very good to us, and He is keeping them for us until it is the time to meet them once again. I do believe of this.

And today as of every day, I play with my cats and my dog, and I find that in the midst of being with them, I pray for them. I want them to be with me as long and maybe longer as possible.

With love,
~Cat

I agree it's best at home, but it can be hard to find a vet who will come to your home. Mine wouldn't.

I think it is especially important if you have other fur friends. It gives them a chance to see and sniff the body. Then they understand. They don't just wonder what happened, if you take away one of them and never bring him/her back.
That's what's great about our horse vets. They come out to the horse not the other way round.

Horses form quite strong pair bonds and when one of the horses has to be PTS we always try to leave the body so that the friend can nose it and work out what's happened. The surviving horse always gets over it quicker if he's allowed to get used to the idea that his friend has gone. Something I think we forget when it comes to human deaths these days.

That's what's great about our horse vets. They come out to the horse not the other way round.

Horses form quite strong pair bonds and when one of the horses has to be PTS we always try to leave the body so that the friend can nose it and work out what's happened. The surviving horse always gets over it quicker if he's allowed to get used to the idea that his friend has gone. Something I think we forget when it comes to human deaths these days.

Interesting, did not know that about horses. Elephants are the same way, they need to touch, nose, and grieve.

Touching and nosing sounds like what my classmates do with each other on their dates!

Uckkkkkkkkk.

I have a trunk, but it is of a storage one and it is not attached to my nose. You may borrow this, taxlady!

With love,
~Cat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom