"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Proud American

Veterinarian Visit Day -- Rrrrrrrrrrr!!

I had to bring my two cats and my very large dog to the Veterinarian's office today at 1:00pm for their annual checkups and their shots.

Azia, my dog was quite happy of this! But the cats were a very different story.

At the beginning, I had to stuff the cats into this large crate. Kali desired no part of this and clawed my hand and arm. I was bleeding very impressively by the time I slammed the crate door closed.

Misty bolted to under the bed. I am very luckily a small person of 5'2" and 93 pounds so I was able to slide under the bed, snatch her by the scruff of her neck and drag her out. I opened the crate door and threw her inside and closed the door just in time so Kali would not escape.

I put the crate in Joy, and Azia followed me and sat in her customary passenger front seat.

As soon as I pressed the button to start Joy, the cats began to yowl. This was nearly deafening, and Azia growled at them.

The veterinarian had a difficult time of dragging Misty and Kali from the crate. He said very nicely that they had quite the "personalities." This was not of personalities. This was of two cats who hate crates, cars, veterinarians and me.

When I got all of these animals back to home, Misty and Kali hissed at me and I have not seen them since then. They are perhaps in my closet or under my bed, and I have no desire to go to find them. Azia, of course, did not complain and she is fine with this.

I am quite grateful this happens only once a year. If there is more of this, I shall need a tranquilizer gun and to teach myself to use it.

I have not lost a significant amount of blood this time, which is a very good thing. It is my hope that Kali and Misty do not decide to take revenge upon me in my sleep.

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hilarious, Cat! Glad you all survived! Cats are horrid patients and travelers, and they never forgive or forget.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I spent almost an entire day trying to remove the sutures from Latté, when we had her spade. She was not being cooperative at all. So it took an hour to get her into her carrier, more non-cooperation. At least she doesn't yowl in the car. I got her to the vet and the assistant reached in and got her, no problem. Within 1 minute they had the sutures removed and she was back in the carrier, she never even blinked or struggled.

Brat kitty for sure.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Proud American

So very true, Dawgluver! I am afraid to sleep tonight.

That certainly is a brat kitty, Princess Fiona!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Head Chef

It takes my brother and I about half an hour to force my cat, Burt, into his basket. I am pretty sure he has an extra set of legs (and claws) that come out only when it is basket time.

From the moment he is shoved into it, he starts with the most appalling wailing - to all intents and purposes it sounds like he is the victim of terrible torture. He maintains this hideous and loud wailing in the car, and in the vets' waiting room (which is highly embarrassing), and then he is like a little angel with the vet. As soon as we leave the consulting room, he is back to wailing as loudly as he can and stays that way until we release him at home. (He doesn't come out from behind the sofa until hunger gets the better of him).

The little darling! (I love him to bits of course.)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can take the top off my cat carrier.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I can take the top off my cat carrier.
I can take the top "gate" off. Or detach the whole top half. Or just the front gate. (Burt has luxury travel accommodation with mattress and attachable feeding/drinks bowl).

Burt has a special way of evading each and every entrance.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had a third-hand Dalmation who was the biggest baby. All my dogs have loved riding in the car, not her. She KNEW we were headed to either the vet or the boarder. When at the vet, she screamed, catterwalled, howled and wailed, tried to hide under the bench or crawl in my lap the whole time. The vet would have to be on hands and knees to reach under the bench and drag her out.

When I had cats many years ago, I neglected to use a carrier in the car. They embedded their claws in my scalp and shoulders on our way to the vet, made it tough to drive.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I had a third-hand Dalmation who was the biggest baby. All my dogs have loved riding in the car, not her. She KNEW we were headed to either the vet or the boarder. When at the vet, she screamed, catterwalled, howled and wailed, tried to hide under the bench or crawl in my lap the whole time. The vet would have to be on hands and knees to reach under the bench and drag her out.

When I had cats many years ago, I neglected to use a carrier in the car. They embedded their claws in my scalp and shoulders on our way to the vet, made it tough to drive.
That was the idea. They knew who was controlling the moving vehicle insanity and they were trying to make you stop doing it.

When I didn't have the money to buy a cat carrier, I used to stuff the cat in a pillow case. I would put a rope or string through the casing and tie it shut. Most cats like to have their heads out, so they can see. If anyone ever does this, remember you should be able to put two fingers between the cat's neck and the pillow case. Don't want to strangle kitty or have it get out. Sucha preferred the pillow case to the carrier, but she didn't want her head out.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I finally made pillows out of unwashed t-shirts that I had worn, now the cats sit in their carriers without problem. If I try to zip them up, though...escape artists!