Vinegar for cleaning with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
I know this might seem like a bit of a weird question, but I use malt vinegar for a lot of cleaning tasks in England, and can't find it in Italy. The white vinegar here is white wine vinegar...does any one know if you can use it in the same way for cleaning glass etc? :huh:

Any vinegar will work but it may be the level of acidity that does it. But for glass it should be fine. The other little trick to glass cleaning is to use newspaper to polish with.

Thank you Gretchen. I know vinegar pongs while you are using it but afterwards I think the air smells clean and fresh and not vinegary! I am also a bit wary of a lot of commercial products, so I do as mush as I can with vingar, lemon juice or washing up liquid, lol!

I am really excited because I think I have found somewhere to move into, but its a bit grubby to say the least. I might even go mad with bleach in there before the move.

Just re-read your post, that all you could find was white wine vinegar. That might be kinda sticky for cleaning.

You can put water and ammonia in a spray bottle for cleaning.

Also, straight rubbing alcohol really does a number on soap scum and the like. Just don't smoke while you're using it.

I use a lot of Clorox for cleaning, too. Pour a little straight from the bottle onto your soapy dishcloth for cleaning countertops and white woodwork or cabinets. You wouldn't believe how bright everything gets!

I was posting at same time as you Contance! I've never used rubbing alcohol, and I don't smoke..I'll try that if I can't find my white vinegar!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom