Vintage Photo Object, What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it wasn`t on the table, it was behind it, by about 2 inches, only the top bit showing.

if you look at the close-up, you can clearly see the table edge and then a shaddow up past the radiator side after a gap of black. :)

They are both interesting pictures and, yes, the object is distracting. It's odd that they're both taken from what appears to be the other end of the table, showing both the table and the object. Perhaps the camera needed to be stationary so the image wouldn't blur... and the table was used to steady the camera as the shutter was activated. Seems like the could have done the same thing with better result by just rotating the table slightly and putting the camera more on the edge but, hey... I guess it wouldn't have been as interesting then, huh?

you`re probably not far off some Truth there! :)

if you look at Most old pics non of them ever seem to be smiling either, all very straight faced, well the reason behind it is quite simple, some of these pics took up to 20 mins to expose!
now I don`t know about You, but there`s No Way I could hold a smile for that long without Cramp or busting out laughing.
so the pictures you see are straight faced (and probably tainted with "Hurry up Dang You!").

ya gotta love the Discovery Channel :)

:) I think its a radio it would be displayed like it is because its a luxury and they would want to display it as so.

jpmcgrew said:
:) I think its a radio it would be displayed like it is because its a luxury and they would want to display it as so.
Sorry, jp, it really isn't a radio. Firstly, most radiators were placed near windows because they would have half a chance of "chasing" drafts from the poorly insulated windows.

Secondly, radios of that time were rather ornate pieces of furniture that stood somewhat taller than the "item" in the picture and were usually made of wood and could be quite ornate. In fact, Buck has turned one such "radio" cabinet into a lovely liquor bar for our house.

To further my explanation/validity of my claim, the "thing" in the photo looks almost exactly like the radiators in my grandparents' house in Minnesota.

Sorry, after reviewing this post it seems as though I came off rather terse. I didn't mean it that way. If I offended you, please understand I didn't mean any harm.

Last edited:
well, I'm definitely voting with Katie (and BT and YT) on this one. Especially since katie said the object looked like a Minnesotian radiator and Iowa is adjacent to Minnesota.

I was very interested to read of yall's take on the tone/impression of these photos. You had very different impressions than what I project on them. I guess since I know that this family self destructed in a few years I tend to have a sad take. My grandmother died rather quickly of cancer and it is not known what relationship my dad had with his father after that. Most of the photographs I have of my ancestors are professional studio portraits of the stiff unsmiling nature and I am certain that is because of the long exposure time. I do have another photo of my father taken in a chair by a window in a house (same senerio as these photos/different house:LOL: ) and my grandmother wrote on the back that the exposure was 15 seconds.

Thanks all for your input!:cool:

bethzaring said:
I have been scanning old family photographs and am puzzled by an object in one photograph. This object features prominently in several photographs. It is partially hidden by something else, maybe a table. The object is positioned right beside a chair, making me think it may be a radio, but it sure does not look like a radio. The photograph was taken in June 1917 in probably Oskaloosa Iowa. I have cropped the photograph to only show the object I would really like to identify. Any guesses as to what this is??

img_420563_0_f1e97f7a8e99160d9ef3b8ef9b49c3d5.jpg

really Katie? That's one object I can identify, my dad's dad for sure!

:ROFLMAO: And Jeekinz, that is priceless:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: sez bz as she sets off to try to determine if that house had internet wiring

VeraBlue, I was wandering around the house today looking at my framed family photos and found one of my dad at 5 months in his high chair. I also have in my possession my mom's high chair. No doubt, they are high chairs, from the front side, back, nothing esoteric about the early 1900's high chairs.

That is really interesting--and it is a real optical illusion in a way.
And while pictures may have taken a little while to "take", not 20 minutes worth, at this time in photography history.
They are really nice pictures.

Last edited:
I agree it's a radiator. But without seeing the original, I cant tell if there's a table there. I played around with different filters and settings in Photoshop and came up with this. If you drew a line from the window sill, it lines up with what I believe to be a window just to the right of the photo...judging by the shadow line. Also if you look closely at the radiator, the light source is projecting from 1:00 to 7:00.

I can just barely make out the outlines I drew in red.

img_420728_0_3d92d3fe92272f476478d71cc4e67ff1.jpg

bethzaring said:
really Katie? That's one object I can identify, my dad's dad for sure!

:ROFLMAO: And Jeekinz, that is priceless:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: sez bz as she sets off to try to determine if that house had internet wiring

VeraBlue, I was wandering around the house today looking at my framed family photos and found one of my dad at 5 months in his high chair. I also have in my possession my mom's high chair. No doubt, they are high chairs, from the front side, back, nothing esoteric about the early 1900's high chairs.

I recall seeing photos, never had the real thing. Can you tell how jealous I am of you now? I hate to hijack a thread, and we can move this to pm if that would be more polite...but what have you done with the high chairs? Are you displaying them, somehow?? I would be, if I had 1900 high chairs....

Yeah. Come to thnk of it, why would anybody want 1900 high chairs? Most families do just fine with one or maybe two if they have twins.

VeraBlue said:
I recall seeing photos, never had the real thing. Can you tell how jealous I am of you now? I hate to hijack a thread, and we can move this to pm if that would be more polite...but what have you done with the high chairs? Are you displaying them, somehow?? I would be, if I had 1900 high chairs....

I have one:cool: HC, my mom's from 1919. Yes. I have it displayed. I have the guest bedroom done in, well, can't say anitque furniture because the chest of drawers is from my childhood:LOL: , but some furniture is antique. I have the bed my mom's parents bought when they set up housekeeping in 1912, it is an inexpensive pine bed. Also have a desk from my folks home, two treadle sewing machines for tables and the high chair in the corner holding a few stuffed animals. Oh, there is also a reproduction wash stand a friend made for us.

Us three kids used the high chair, or so my mom says

Back
Top Bottom