Vintage Photo Object, What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! It's the butt end of a radiator. :D

img_421084_0_256939104cee726ffcfee529eefd6a65.jpg

Notice the distance from the table to the wall (1) as well as the distance from the chair to the wall (3). Now notice that the chair is slightly behind the table (2).

img_421084_1_7c0b0ec1e8b58521308be5e94fab33bf.jpg

I have shown this layout here and marked the Radiator (A), Table (B) and Chair (C)

I believe the layout of this particular room is that table is up against an outside wall as evidenced by the lighting in the second photograph (which is most likely the reason several photos were taken from the same vantage point. Good lighting) . Again, judging from the lighting patterns it appears that the photographer is standing in an open doorway.

I the chair is most likely in that particular location for 3 possible reasons.
1. It's warm there
2. The chair hides the radiator.
3. Plenty of light to read by.

Looking at the dimples where the rivets are, I would guess that this particular model was a cheap stamped-metal affair as opposed to the more tradidional cast iron variety. I have never seen a cast iron anything with dimples, but they're quite common on less expensive metals.

I don't know when the practice of stamping metal came into vogue (ww-1 maybe?) but a little research may help you date this photo.

Best Wishes
~ Raven ~

PS>> ACK!!! I swear there were not 6 pages of responses when I posted this!! I thought I looked (but then it is 7:00 in the morning and I did just wake up so...) :LOL: I thought I had read through all the replies before replying so if I've doubled with someone my apologies (blush)

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: No problem Raven, lots of us are having fun with these old photos, thanks for your interpretation. I do know this family never owned a house and moved frequently as evidenced by different addresses in census records and city directories. This would have been a rental house so the cheap stamped metal radiator makes sense. This is facinating, keep the ideas coming:mrgreen:

I'll send the pics back to you by Monday. Hope you like it. I'll include a CD with the photo on it in case you want to print it. -J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom