Vintage Photo Object, What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I have been scanning old family photographs and am puzzled by an object in one photograph. This object features prominently in several photographs. It is partially hidden by something else, maybe a table. The object is positioned right beside a chair, making me think it may be a radio, but it sure does not look like a radio. The photograph was taken in June 1917 in probably Oskaloosa Iowa. I have cropped the photograph to only show the object I would really like to identify. Any guesses as to what this is??

Attachments

• FloydWindowObject (4).jpg
    FloydWindowObject (4).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 199
the antykithera mechanism?

oh, wait, you're not boufa. :)

ok, it'll be known as the oskaloosa mechanism. there, it has a name.

possibly a buckle or piece of a military uniform?

here is the full photograph to you get the context of the object..........thanks bucky for trying........have another go?

Attachments

• floyd100% (3).jpg
    floyd100% (3).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 192
I see what you mean Uncle Bob. It looks like it may be made of leather, and it sure looks like a screw holding the center circle thing. I can't tell if it is resting on the table or if the table is obstucting our view of it. I do know this fellow was a car buff, had a car dealership in 1917.

Miss Beth...

It does seem to be a "slotted" screw..the other to small indentions apear to be maybe bolts that are recessed to protect a surface. But that makes no sense as the "screw" would not allow the objext to sit flat on a surface.
The lighting is interesting as there is a dark shadow across his leg, that whole corner of the photograh is poorly lit..Except for the object in question which seems to be well lit. Are these the only two photos of the object??

In the second photo, it looks like the back of the object. Since the chair is facing same, I'd go with a clock or radio.

It does seem like it would be a light of some type because with the sun coming in the window, wouldn't the picture have been much less clear?

I still mess up some pics when I shoot people adjacent to a window.

...but the angle seems wrong for that.

This is interesting.

Last edited:
Miss Beth...

Other than to say I think it is a metal object rather than leather...I am stumped. The photos are "formal" in nature. So, I don't think it is a just a random thing that was sitting there. Also, I see nothing that would indicate anything moveable. Maybe do research to see if there was "electricity" in Oskaloosa in 1917. That would rule out somethings maybe

mish said:
In the second photo, it looks like the back of the object. Since the chair is facing same, I'd go with a clock or radio.

Miss Mish makes a good point..It could very well be the "back" of the object. It does make sense as I stated earlier I don't think it would sit flat on a surface do to what appears to be a screw.

it looks like it's not on the table, but past it, maybe free standing.

so i'd guess, maybe the top end of some kind of radiator?

img_420101_0_2c868757e4ff1c4b8137794bb8e47646.gif

If it were a radio, wouldn't it have vents in the back to release the heat from the tubes? Did radios use tubes? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. It appears to be a warm day - the window is open and both people have summer attire on (i.e. rolled-up or short sleeves)... if that has anything to do with anything. NEXT!

mish said:

mish, I think you may be correct. I had not considered this before. We may be looking at the back of said questionable object.

I have a postcard dated 1915 of the street my ancestors lived on, but not the house in these pictures, and there are tall poles lining the residental street. One side of the street has poles only and the other side has poles with bars at the top, like a T. The post card is not clear enough to see any wires, but the poles only, have three insulators. So I think it very possible this house had electricity.

mish said:
Hmmm. It appears to be a warm day - the window is open and both people have summer attire on (i.e. rolled-up or short sleeves)... if that has anything to do with anything. NEXT!

the back of one photo says my dad is 3 months old and he was born in March, so that is why I say the photo was taken in June 1917

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Beth...

Other than to say I think it is a metal object rather than leather...I am stumped. The photos are "formal" in nature. So, I don't think it is a just a random thing that was sitting there. Also, I see nothing that would indicate anything moveable. Maybe do research to see if there was "electricity" in Oskaloosa in 1917. That would rule out somethings maybe

I suspect these photos were taken by each of the adults pictured. Most pictures i have of my dad only have one parent in them, making me think the pictures were taken by the other parent.

Back
Top Bottom