Vintage Photo Old Car What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
okay kids, I need help in identifying this car, need make, year. This is great grandpop, photo taken in rural Henry County Indiana. He was a farmer raising 11 children, so I do not think he had a lot of money. But DH thinks this is a high end car. This photo was taken on the farm. He was widowed by this time. I think there was some automotive industry in New Castle Ind. the county seat of Henry County.

Attachments

• 2.200JohnRCar (2).jpg
    2.200JohnRCar (2).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 184
just found another photo. With my great aunt, maybe it is not grandpop's car. Anyone know make and yearish?

Attachments

• 2oldCar (2).jpg
    2oldCar (2).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 169
Well, I'm no car expert, but I'll hazard a guess. Ford Model-T? Those didn't have yearly model changes, GM instituted that in the 30's, I think.

Thanks Allen, it may well be a Ford. There were so many cars manufactured in the early 1900's I did not know where to begin. I looked up some 1930ish fords and the bonnet is shaped similar to the ones pictured above. I'll keep looking........

Miss Beth

Any idea when the photos were taken...Like when did you g-grandfather live.
From the looks of the gentleman in the picture I would guess him to be 50ish or 60ish. What year did g-great grandfather pass away?

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Beth

Any idea when the photos were taken...Like when did you g-grandfather live.
From the looks of the gentleman in the picture I would guess him to be 50ish or 60ish. What year did g-great grandfather pass away?

you bet:LOL:

born 1855 yadkin co north carolina
died 1936 henry co indiana

no idea when photo was taken. I was hoping to pin that down by the year of the car:cool: .

So he was 81 when he died.

We are getting closer...The model T was produced from 1908-1927...
My guess one of the later models rather than an earlier one...
Use your photo editor and zoom in on the emblem on the front of the car located at the top of the radiator and see what it says......

this is the best I could do, but someone familiar this timeframe may be able to tell something from the shape of the emblem.

Sorry, had to rotate it to get it to upload:)

Attachments

• 2emblem (4).jpg
    2emblem (4).jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 93
Miss Beth...

I was hoping the emblem might give us a clue, but I can't read it. So I dunno.
There were Fords, Buicks, Chevy's, Dodge, etc being manufactured during this time period. So it will take an antique car "expert" to definitively identify the car in your photo...

I've been trying every site I can to find that grill badge; so far, no luck. I know that I have seen it and that type of car before a very long time ago; that is driving me nuts because I know I should know it!!! LOL!! I'll keep looking. Those are wonderful old photos.

I have ruled out Ford, due to the shape of the emblem and the shape of the framing of the grill. The Ford emblem is very similar to todays emblem. So I am off to look at other makers:)

Here is a list of American car makers as of 1929 for you: Auburn
Buick
Cadillac & La Salle
Chandler
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Cunningham
De Soto
Dodge Brothers
du Pont
Durant
Elcar
Franklin
Gardner
Graham-Paige
Hudson and Essex
Hupmobile
Jordan
Kissel
Lincoln
Locomobile
Marmon
Moon
Nash
Oakland
Pontiac
Oldsmobile
Packard
Peerless
Pierce-Arrow
Plymouth
Reo
Roamer
S & S
Stearns-Knight
Studebaker & Erskine
Stutz
Velie
Whippet
Willys-Knight

bethzaring: You have a pretty good picture of the license plate in the first picture. I pulled up some license plate history sites and that is where you may find some information.

You can also check old newspapers from that town. This car could have been used in a parade.

This car is rather fancy for the time period because it had a finished paint and was waxed and shiny. The body had more detail than usual.

bethzaring said:
turtledove, none of the above ring a bell with you? I'm going through them one at a time.
Some of the names do but I was a small kid at the time; the owner of the ranch we worked used to restore these beauties. I did come across a car club site that has decent photos and so far the ones that look the closest are Buick, Overland, and a couple of others from the 1910's. I'll keep looking too because I can't shake this from my mind yet, lol.

Back
Top Bottom