"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Site Moderator

"Virtual" Ice Cream Social

Okay all, as the heat starts to hit all of us.. we need a good old fashion ice cream social.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Favorite topping?

Anyone have any memories of going to ice cream socials?

Me: Vanilla with hot fudge, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry...traditional sundae. We used to have ice cream socials every summer at my grade school put on my the park department. The school had a huge play ground, play field and a swimming pool.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Dave
I like what you suggested but I'll try something different I'd like one scoop of each chocolate,strawberry, vanilla with chocolate syrup,a big banana, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top...
kades

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Master Chef

I use to get this ice cream at a place called Larry's. It was coffee ice cream with cinnamon crunch strusel ribboned throughout in a wonderful waffle come. My DH and I use to go there in the evenings and go walk on the beach.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Everymom

OK, I'm going to have a banana split. One banana, cut in half, two scoops of chocolate ice cream, large amounts of caramel goo poured over top, hot fudge poured over that, and then a handful of peanut M&Ms to top it all off.

I think I'll just sit here on the deck, kadesma on one side and Dave on the other, scarfing my sundae. Enjoying the summer sun you guys? Mmmmmmm this sundae ROCKS!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

no ice cream socials but home made ice cream on my grandmas porch in rodgersville ala. usually peach or strawberry all grown on the farm. never had any as good since. i do love a really rich vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, hold the nuts and topped with whipped cream. don't even need the cherry on top. grandmas was made with old fashioned crank. when temp is 104 ice cream is heaven.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

We have a restaurant here that has a banana split special one night a week, bring your own banana and you get the rest of the split for cheap!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was growing up, hot fudge sundaes were a special treat.

I'll have a hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream, whipped cream and nuts. I'll just sit here on the deck if someone will help me up later.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Everymom

Oooo! Andy, here's your coffee ice cream with whipped cream...what kind of nuts would you like? I have pecans, walnuts and peanuts.

Wyogal, bring that banana up to our deck and we'll throw together the best virtual sundae you can imagine.

babetoo, is it really 104 there? Whew!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Oooo! Andy, here's your coffee ice cream with whipped cream...what kind of nuts would you like? I have pecans, walnuts and peanuts.

Wyogal, bring that banana up to our deck and we'll throw together the best virtual sundae you can imagine.

babetoo, is it really 104 there? Whew!
sorry i did jump around on this thread. i meant to say 104 on grannys porch in ala. in the summer. the farm is gone now. my grandma is deceased. it it just a lovely memory. she even had a swing on the porch. all the aunts and uncles lived on the farm in separate houses. my sis and i were there to avoid the big city crowds because of polio. really dates me huh.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

This is shaping up to be lots of fun I'll brig some pecans that I've candied and some chocolate covered cones...Get ready Dave so far you're out numbered
Women rock kades