"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #21
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Take that back, the neighbors across the street makes it known one vote doesn't make a difference.
Thats sad - one vote can make a difference and it is the collection of those one votes that really make the difference. We have a big problem over here with 40 percent or less turnouts - that can't be democratic.
Actually Isaac Asimov wrote a short story called the voter where all the elections across the USA were determined by a computer analysing the responses of 1 person.

Have fun everyone and we look forward to hearing who is your new president.

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #22
Sous Chef
One vote won't make a difference .... last time 65,000 of those 'one votes' would have.

I went to vote early last Thursday at the Board of Elections. All the early voters in the county had to go to the board to cast their ballot.

The line was at least 200 long and there were 6 machines. About a two hour wait.

I left.

Tomorrow there will be 80 stations in the county with 3~5 machines per station. I figure the wait will be less, Still I'm taking two crosswords, three if you count the NY Times, and a chair.

No way I'm missing it, going as soon as I get up.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #23
Sous Chef
Im naother one. absentee ballot.

got to work 7am to 7pm and i work about 2 hours from where i vote. same with the wife.

i do enjoy voting in person. and I have only missed 1 election becuase I had moved
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
i woke up this morning feeling very good, very patriotic. i'm going to vote tonight.

it's good to see so many people getting involved, as they should always have been. it stinks that it takes a massive crisis or three to motivate americans, but that may be because so many people live good lives, or at least know that they have the oppurtunity to.
it shows that were not the slumbering dope that much of world has come to think of us.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #25
Senior Cook
Smile Voting today!

I'm going to drive over to my polling place around 10 AM today. I'll stay to vote no matter how long the lines may be on Election Day. I'm very excited.

I believe that Election Day should be a national holiday so that working voters would have all day to cast their votes.

I'm retired so I have all day to cast my vote.

I've voted in every election (primary and general) since 1964.
"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #26
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i woke up this morning feeling very good, very patriotic.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

U.S.A.! U.S.A.!U.S.A.!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Head Chef
Just got back from voting. It was a bit rainy and early, so it took 15 minutes total.
According to the counter on the ballot eating machine, I was number 214.
Apparently NC is a swing state, since we have seen more Presidential candidates this
time than ever before that I can remember. Should be interesting.
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
Head Chef
I picked my Dad up this morning and we arrived at our polling place about 7:15AM. Even though the line was out the door and down the sidewalk, it only took us about 25mins. I know it may take a lot longer to vote this year, but I'm very happy to see so many people participate in our process!
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #29
Executive Chef
Dh and I also voted absentee ballot. I can tell you one thing I will be real glad when it's over and we dont have to suffer through anymore politcal ads on TV.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #30
Head Chef
We live in Florida, too. Took advantage of early voting on the 20th.

I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote