Voting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Walked in, 3 or 4 people in booths, a few hanging out chatting.
Voted, came out, had a few chunks of fresh rutabega supplied by one of the election officials, came home.
Boy I love living in the country!!!
:)

James's driver's license fell apart (turns out they had problems with several around the time he got his), and we got to the DMV one minute too late today, so we will have to go do that first, since he will need that to vote. We will probably vote late afternoon.

:)Barbara

Hi, Barbara. You've probably taken care of this already, but FYI, you need ID, but not PHOTO ID in South Carolina: State Requirements for Voter ID

We all went and voted en mass a couple of weeks ago. I had to be at my mom's last week and I wasn't sure I'd be back home in time to vote today. It was awesome when we voted because it was my 18 year old son's first time to vote so the whole family went and voted together and then went out for lunch to celebrate this big rite of passage! I'm so excited and impressed to see how many young, first time voters are turning out to vote.

We all went and voted en mass a couple of weeks ago. I had to be at my mom's last week and I wasn't sure I'd be back home in time to vote today. It was awesome when we voted because it was my 18 year old son's first time to vote so the whole family went and voted together and then went out for lunch to celebrate this big rite of passage! I'm so excited and impressed to see how many young, first time voters are turning out to vote.
THAT sure sounds encouraging and positive. Congratulations to your 18 year old. May he always have a right to make a choice in his life, voting is one of highest choices person can make. Privilege!

Boy I love living in the country!!!
:)[/QUOTE]

So happy you realize it. Not everyone gets to have that experience. And what a difference it truly makes. Good for you!

Hi, Barbara. You've probably taken care of this already, but FYI, you need ID, but not PHOTO ID in South Carolina: State Requirements for Voter ID
Thanks! We are actually on the way to the DMV now and then will vote. It was someone at the DMV who told him he would need it to vote, but that doesn't necessarily mean she knew what she was talking about. However, he does need to replace it anyway, so we might as well do it now.

I just got back from voting. Dh, ds and I went at 6:30 am and the line was outrageous! We came back home and went back at 8:30. We were done by 9:30. It wasn't too bad.
I was just surprised how many people didn't know where their polling place was. There were quite a few that were told there polling place was somewhere else. Wouldn't you check that out before going?? Oh well, I did my duty.

Barb

Yep, I can vouch for Barb because we said hello to each other this morning at the polls. Just two more DC'ers doing their patriotic duty.

Now the TV will be filled tonight with talking heads saying the obvious...ad nauseum! Hopefully things get back to normal on Wenesday.

JoeV

THAT sure sounds encouraging and positive. Congratulations to your 18 year old. May he always have a right to make a choice in his life, voting is one of highest choices person can make. Privilege!
Thanks, ITK. I think it is one of the greatest privileges we have as citizens and I have tried to make sure each of my kids understands it comes with the responsibility to actually vote!

I want to clarify in case anyone thinks I meant to criticize. I understand voter apathy. There have been many years that I seriously wondered if my vote really counted (or even if it would be counted!) I still tend to feel disenfranchised from my government. But I stubbornly cling to the ideals that I was taught in school and so I vote. But for those of you that have chosen not to for whatever reason, I'm not standing in judgement.

I agree Fisher's Mom. I can understand why people don't vote, but I also think if you don't vote, you can't complain. If I have voted, I therefore have a right to comment on the actions of those elected. If you don't vote, I don't believe you can say anything - you have a right to try and change what you don't like.

No lines when I got there. In and out in about 5 minutes. Now when I was leaving there was about 11 or 12 people in line.

We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes. This was the first time we have used the electronic voting machines here. Looks like Pageland may finally be moving toward the 21st century. :LOL:

Whoa! What a day!

I arrived at the precinct at 5 a.m. and we set up our machines and, here, as in jabbur's area, we used both electronic and paper-like opportunities to cast votes. I assisted voters with the electronic machines and learned to expand my patience skills.

I live in a very, very rural area and the turnout was amazing. From the time the doors opened, the line went out of the building, onto the sidewalk and into the parking lot until nearly noon. At one point I thought my eyeballs were going to float, if you get my meaning.

Steady stream all day long, even up until the 6 p.m. closing time.

Lots of new first-time young voters, which is lovely to see. In past years Buck and I didn't see as many as we thought there should be. Gotta exercise your right to vote. I'm happy to live in a country where we are free to do this without issue.

However, as homecook mentioned, many voters didn't know where they were supposed to vote. Fortunately, our precincts are relatively close together (read that about a mile or so) and it was not inconvenient for the voter to go to their correct polling place.

I'm wasted but happy I could assist and serve.

P.S. The most exciting part of the day was when one young man challenged his ability to vote at our precinct. He got into a "serious" argument with one of our polling officials, the sheriff was called and things went kinda negative from there. The young man later came back with a gun. Fortunately there was no issue when he returned.

...P.S. The most exciting part of the day was when one young man challenged his ability to vote at our precinct. He got into a "serious" argument with one of our polling officials, the sheriff was called and things went kinda negative from there. The young man later came back with a gun. Fortunately there was no issue when he returned.
Yikes! I'm glad things didn't turn out badly. It seems to me that in the amount of time it took him to go get his gun he could have gone to the right polling place!

Yikes! I'm glad things didn't turn out badly. It seems to me that in the amount of time it took him to go get his gun he could have gone to the right polling place!

Thank you, Barbara. It had more to do with his qualifications to vote (because of driver's license thing) than his appropriate precinct, but he didn't see it that way. He's had some law-abiding issues anyway so it was no surprise he caused some problems.

Still, it was a little scary.

I stood in line for maybe 20 seconds - it could have been 3 seconds if the voter and "voter helper" didn't talk about how they knew each other years ago :LOL: No ID required, as usual. That always amazes me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom