"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Glad to see you are doing better Cheryl.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #32
Master Chef

Thank you, Princess. I hope by now you are back to yourself again, too.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh yeah, I'm up and running, Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
If I went into work with the flu, I would be sent home. Coming to work (knowingly) contagious is against our company policy.
As it should be. People that take the flu or any other contagious illness to the workplace or any gathering of people is just plain silly, or they have a man complex that does not allow for illness to interfere with their life saving work that only they can perform.
Unfortunately i know plenty companies that would publicly tell you to stay home, while writing up your warning or pink slip while you are recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm so sorry there are so many sick with the flu! I hear that this years flu shot isn't as effective as they had hoped, but it would still help with the severity of symptoms.
Did you all have flu shots, and got it anyway?
Passing around bowls of chicken soup...
We both got the shot and i am not sure if we got a watered down version of the flu or not.
But both of us have not been the same since Thanksgiving. I have had cold like symptoms for weeks now with some stomach issues. So has my wife.
I always blame it on the grand kids as it seems every time they visit I get sick.

One last thing.
Many people say they have or have had the flu virus. Did your doctor send blood samples to the lab and then report it to the CDC?
If not, you may not have had the flu at all. The word "Flu" is used to much when it should be reserved for actual flu cases.
I know lots of folks with the flu. 99% of them are sick with colds or other viral infections. Not the flu. It seems anytime someone gets ill during flu season, its automatically flu when its not.

Someone mention antibiotics. Antibiotics do nothing for flu. They do nothing for viral infections. Over use a antibiotics is as bad as not having any to provide those who actually need them.

I have seen my doctor many times over the last several years for illness that could be cold, flu, or other aliment and he NEVER prescribes antibiotics. Unless he is 100% sure you have a bacterial infection, he knows better than to give you antibiotics.
Its a waste of money and resources including making antibiotics less effective for the people that actually need them.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Flu will kick your butt. You can function and be upright with a cold, not with flu. I haven't gotten the flu since I started getting the shots, but since the strain has mutated this year and the shots aren't as effective, I was really worried after being hacked on while on that plane. DH and I are lucky, no flu.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Flu will kick your butt. You can function and be upright with a cold, not with flu. I haven't gotten the flu since I started getting the shots, but since the strain has mutated this year and the shots aren't as effective, I was really worried after being hacked on while on that plane. DH and I are lucky, no flu.
I agree Dawg, even really resilient people can't function with the actual flu unless the kids and husband has it too.

I get a kick out of that commercial with the dad who says "Sorry Dave, I have to take a sick day tomorrow" and the camera pans to Dave standing in his crib. Stay at home Mom's/Dad's don't get sick days.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

W.G.T.F. Club

Yeah, Kayelle, I sure feel for all the sick moms having to take care of their sick families. Also, for all the teachers and other educators who get hacked on, sneezed on, and boogered on by sick students. That was always a fun time!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Influenze can be diagnosed by a nasal swab, you don't have to draw a blood sample. Influenza A was the strain in the facility, reported to the Public Health Department who reports to the CDC. They quit testing after the first ten resident/employee positives, (it's quit expensive for the facility) and offered Tamiflu to residents and staff. I was in the first wave, came down very sick on Friday night, too sick on Saturday to leave the house and doing better on Monday. By then I was good enough to work even though I was still miserable. Same as always, those of us who were not dying were working to cover for those that were wanting to die.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yeah, Kayelle, I sure feel for all the sick moms having to take care of their sick families. Also, for all the teachers and other educators who get hacked on, sneezed on, and boogered on by sick students. That was always a fun time!
Don't forget puked on...or in the vicinity of.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Don't forget puked on...or in the vicinity of.
On teachers? Jeez, I hope not. Kids that sick shouldn't be in the classroom.