"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I live in memphis, and it was really bad last night, however, about 60 miles to the north in dyer and gibson co. TN. 18-20 people were killed by tornados, lets keep them in our thoughts.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
I live in memphis, and it was really bad last night, however, about 60 miles to the north in dyer and gibson co. TN. 18-20 people were killed by tornados, lets keep them in our thoughts.
Glad to hear your okay, Jimmy!!
I've been reading about all the storms. Was a bad night up there! They had the death toll at 19 this morning, now it is showing 23 so far. I really hate to hear that. Prayers out to everyone effected by the storms!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Hope she wasn't hurt, phinz!!
Bikes are so scary anyway. My sister and bil ride their Harley's everywhere. They got caught last year in Conroe, Texas in a storm and sis will NEVER ride when it's even raining anymore. Scared her to death!!
I didn't like driving a *car* in the rain while growing up in Houston. A storm in the Houston/Conroe/Katy area can turn into a frog choker *fast.*

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Our prayers for all who were hurt last night, and our thanks for all who weren't.

We go surprised about 9:30 last night, everything had calmed down so I had turned the radar off and was kicked back on the couch watching TV when all of a sudden they popped out county. I was thinking the northern part of the county and since everything was moving east it wouldn't get us, but then they said "Moving South-South East at 10 Mph"... WHOA!

I flipped the radar back on and (remember how I said the dew-point was 64º?) and there was nothing...nothing... then BOOM an entire line stretching across the state heading south.

We got some rain and lightning and some 1½" hail and then it went on.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Here is a link to cnn. Down a little it will show a gallery. There are a few pics of Marmaduke, Arkansas. I guess that is the area that was hit the hardest there, Raven??
Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'm thankful for all who are safe, and pray that you will remain so. I also will pray for those who were injured or worse in the storms.

I live in an area that though it is cold for 3/4 of the year, has the least number of natural disasters (including deadly storms) of any area of the North American continent. It gets cold, but not deadly cold. It gets hot, but never above 90 or so. We get rain, but never floods. We get snowed in, but not for more than a day or two. I have been without a furnace for about 4 weeks now (waiting on a part). Ceramic space heaters have been sufficient to keep my house at a liveable temperature (my wife does not agree with this last statement). It hasn't dropped below 55 inside.

Where I live, where the three greatest of the Great Lakes meet together, it is a harsh and hard land. But it doesn't rip your home apart. And I'm thankful for that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote