"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Waffle House fans?

I had to take a lady from church to her doctor appointment yesterday. I had missed breakfast and lunch and had an hour to kill before picking her up. So I went to Waffle House near her house.

I got the All Star breakfast which is $8. You get toast, eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, and a huge waffle. I had them put jalapenos in my hash browns. It was delicious. Coffee was an extra $2. Meal, coffee, $3 tip -- came to $13. I could've eaten at Bob Evans for that much, but I think Waffle House is just as good.

It's definitely faster to eat at Waffle House, and you get to see the cook work his magic on the flat top grille. I forgot about their $6 meals where you get a beverage included for free. They have like 2 eggs, bacon, toast, beverage. Or a breakfast sandwich and hash browns. Also, they have a $6 meal that comes with a double cheeseburger, hash browns, and a drink. There are like 20 meals on their $5 and $6 menus which I had forgotten about. Haven't been there in years.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Head Chef

We went to 3 different Waffle Houses when we lived in Missouri..
One, in the town I lived in, was the go to place for a bunch of us grouchy old men, to gather.. We would meet up for coffee a few times a week and occasionally I would have a waffle.. I can't remember the exact price but it was cheap for a good waffle..
I'm looking forward to going to one again, when I return to MO., in January..

Ross

Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Head Chef

Waffle House is my low-rent guilty pleasure. I only eat breakfast there, and always the same thing. I sit at the "bar" when I go there alone, and watch my food get cooked. It is almost always on the road, so I'm almost eating alone. I've never actually had a waffle there. I'm a meat, potatoes and eggs guy.

I did actually see my very first Huddle House a few weeks ago in Houston, and saw another one a few days later near Port Arthur. I never knew they even existed until a couple of months ago. I think I heard about Huddle House on DC???

CD
Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Wow, this is like an egg cooking crash course at the 12:00 mark.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
DH took me to a Waffle House the first time we came to Arizona.
We don't have them in Hawaii ...
ACK !!!
We both got so sick!
Maybe it was just that location, but we've never gone to another again
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Never got into Waffle House here in NC, because when smoking was allowed in restaurants, those places were FULL of smoke all the time. Since they were so small, there was no escaping it.

Went to one in Maryland near a hotel that I was staying at and remember it being really tasty greasy spoon fare. May give it a shot again since there isn't anymore smoking. It's definitely a popular place to hang out when bars and clubs close.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

We used to go to Waffle House most Sundays when we hosted exchange students. The one by us has been a locally owned and operated franchise with much of the same clientele every week. Delicious diner food.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Head Chef

I'm pretty sure that there are none in Colorado, at least I've never seen one, and I've lived here since 1973. I've seen a couple in Florida, but never been in one.