Wallpaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Did any of you ever cover your school books with wallpaper? I used brown bags. And then drew pics on them.

But Son #1 had an old wallpaper sample book that he was going to throw out. Now I don't have enough room for niceties like a matching canister set. So I went through the book and found a couple of sheets with the Blue Willow pattern in blue. It matches my plates, etc. I took a couple of large coffee canisters and covered them with the wallpaper from the book. One canister for sugar and one for flour. I used double sided extra sticky tape. Holds just fine and looks so pretty. :)

Did any of you ever cover your school books with wallpaper? I used brown bags. And then drew pics on them.

But Son #1 had an old wallpaper sample book that he was going to throw out. Now I don't have enough room for niceties like a matching canister set. So I went through the book and found a couple of sheets with the Blue Willow pattern in blue. It matches my plates, etc. I took a couple of large coffee canisters and covered them with the wallpaper from the book. One canister for sugar and one for flour. I used double sided extra sticky tape. Holds just fine and looks so pretty. :)

We never covered our schoolbooks but, we did use your technique to cover coffee cans and oatmeal boxes at Christmas time to put cookies in to give away or mail to people in armed forces. At home we used peel and stick contact paper on the coffee cans etc for a canister set.

My mother also covered the boxes with lids from the copy store to put on the shelves in her closets. She enjoyed the matched sort of 'buttoned up' look.

Now that you have started you will come up with a million ideas.

Don't even think of poor Teddy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Addie,

Very innovative ... Always have admired craftswomen and craftsmen ... especially gorgeous vegetable gardens ...

In all honesty, now that the Gals are moms and full time professionals and married, I have my time to do what I love most ... Gym and Horse Ride, and write ... Though many years ago, I have gone thru the A to Z crafts and baking cookies ...

My Mom always covered our books with special textile paper, and maybe it was a wall paper ...

However since I was born in 1962, things have changed enormously, not all for the most positivie, others yes ---

I had made a beautiful Nativity Set last year and used textiles and paper maîche to dress the Figurines ...

Have a nice Monday,
Ciao. Margi.

Have nice Monday.
Margi.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea said:
We never covered our schoolbooks but, we did use your technique to cover coffee cans and oatmeal boxes at Christmas time to put cookies in to give away or mail to people in armed forces. At home we used peel and stick contact paper on the coffee cans etc for a canister set.

My mother also covered the boxes with lids from the copy store to put on the shelves in her closets. She enjoyed the matched sort of 'buttoned up' look.

Now that you have started you will come up with a million ideas.

Don't even think of poor Teddy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Well, he does have a blue Martha Stewart lounging bathrobe. And a yellow slicker with matching hat for the rain. There are a couple of other outfits also. Poor Teddy. What we do to him. His harness is blue and has his name in gold letters. Some days he looks so silly. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
we used to to the brown paper bags thing on school books, too. it was as much for doodling and tiny cheat notes (when all books had to be closed during tests) as it was to protect the books.

covering books in brown paper bags was one of our weekly projects this past year in the cub scouts. the boys were amazed that you didn't have to buy one of the stretchy book "socks" at $3 or $4 eac, and that it was a replaceable clean slate for doodling.

i didn't mention the cheat notes idea, lol.

as far as wallpaper goes, i had a lot of leftover border wallpaper after painting my son's bedroom just before he was born, so everything that wasn't nailed down got a strip of border paper around it so everything in the room matched. the clothes hamper, the diaper pail, a toy box, a stack of display "cubes", and so on. :)

i went mad with border paper for a bit, there. must have been the glue.

That glue will do it to you! :LOL: The first born gets all the new and good stuff. After that is is all hand-me-downs. And of course everything has to match. :)

I remember covering books with brown paper bags. Those are hard to come by nowadays.

I used to ask for empty ice cream containers at the ice cream shop. Then I would wrap them with wall paper and use them as waste baskets.

I remember covering books with brown paper bags. Those are hard to come by nowadays.

I used to ask for empty ice cream containers at the ice cream shop. Then I would wrap them with wall paper and use them as waste baskets.

Your grocery store used to ask "paper or plastic." Now they just give you plastic without asking.:)

Your grocery store used to ask "paper or plastic." Now they just give you plastic without asking.:)
My grocery stores ask if you want a bag and the only choice is usually plastic. I bring canvas bags. That is encouraged here. Many grocery stores charge 5¢ each for bags.

Did you decoupage your canisters or just cover them? We make decoupage boxes in class. They're easy to do with either ModPodge or white glue & tissue paper, photos or magazine pictures. Glue them down & paint a couple layers of glue on top to seal. Let dry between layers. You can decoupage about anything. I think I'm going to use fabric & do that to an old cabinet door.

I just covered them. I have been using the canisters for a couple of years. If my son hadn't brought the sampler book in from the car to show me, I probably would never have covered them. the books were from the 80's. :)

Back
Top Bottom