"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Wallpaper Woes

Well, we discuss just 'bout everything, so...

I bought 3 rolls of prepasted wallpaper to do a wall in one room, from ebay. The problem is, it's just not sticking to the wall. I wallpapered years ago, but never had this problem. So far I've gone thru one roll. Wouldn't complain but, it cost $30 a roll, ($99 for all three), and I like the pattern. I may have to buy another roll, or return two - if the seller will allow it. What am I doing wrong?

I emailed the seller, posing the question, but no response.

Here's a pic.

This is sort of the wall 'look' I'm trying to achieve (sans the fouton).

P.S. Does anyone know what the writing on the paper means/says? TIA

Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

This is a pic of another pattern I planned on using in a different room on one wall - different manufacturer. It has a satin-like finish/look. I'm already exhausted from one room. Should I call in a pro? Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Did you prep the wall before you started? If so, how? What was on the wall before you tried to wallpaper? Was it paint - if so, what kind of paint? Was there paper there? What kind of condition is the wall in?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The wall is in good shape, pretty smooth, and the paint is off-white flat - water-based. The instructions did mention resizing (using a resizer?), but I've never done it in the past. Not sure how to apply/do resizing. Maybe that's the problem?

I redid it twice, got two sheets to stick, next morning it was buckling/pulling away from the wall at the top and some spots. Tried wetting the paper, at first with less water, then with more water. Dragging an 8' wet paper from the bathtub, running into another room, standing on a chair with towels and sponges is getting old - fast. When I pulled the paper off, it left reddish/rust color stains on the wall. Probably from the dye? in the paper? Man am I tired.

Edited to add: I was going to paint the room again.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd guess the paste on the wallpaper is defective. Buy some wallpaper paste and paste the paper and hang it.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'd guess the paste on the wallpaper is defective. Buy some wallpaper paste and paste the paper and hang it.
Thanks, Andy. Thought the same thing. I've wallpapered over semi-gloss years ago in an old kitchen, with layers of paint, didn't prep the walls, and never had this problem. Feel so disappointed.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Master Chef

Dh said the same as Andy. Buy some wallpaper adhesive. Home Depot has some called Vinyl to Vinyl. This is what he has always used. It's not expensive at all. If it's too thick and won't roll well with a clean paint roller, add just enough warm water to make it roll easy. He said those prepasted papers never work good. He hates that they say prepasted because, you have to end up using the paste anyway to make it stick good. Once you use it though, it will be really tough to get it off.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Dh said the same as Andy. Buy some wallpaper adhesive. Home Depot has some called Vinyl to Vinyl. This is what he has always used. It's not expensive at all. If it's too thick and won't roll well with a clean paint roller, add just enough warm water to make it roll easy. He said those prepasted papers never work good. He hates that they say prepasted because, you have to end up using the paste anyway to make it stick good. Once you use it though, it will be really tough to get it off.
Thank you, thank you Texas. I so appreciate the info. Will copy and paste (no pun intended) your hubby's advice. Thank him for me. Good info to know. Sent the seller another email, explaining I've already lost $30. I was planning on going to Home Depot for paint this week. I did love the pattern, though.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Master Chef

Your very welcome!! Before you spend more on paint though. Try the adhesive if you can get it as cheap as we can. It really would be worth it, I think. If you like the pattern that much. It's pretty wallpaper for the asian look you are wanting to achieve. To do the texturing paint, it gets expensive, believe me. We did colorwash faux in our living room and you have to get 3 shades of paint and the glaze. Others you also have to buy the rollers,sponges or scrapers to do them
Old 02-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Mish, is there high humidity in that room? I have used the adhesive before and it worked. I'm sorry for your woes. I hope you have someone helping you with this project!