"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I decided to keep this month's register receipt. The Pirate bought a half gallon of half and half at Shaw's and it cost $5.00. I compared it to what I paid at De Moulas and there it was $2.69.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I decided to keep this month's register receipt. The Pirate bought a half gallon of half and half at Shaw's and it cost $5.00. I compared it to what I paid at De Moulas and there it was $2.69.
I'd never heard of those 2 chains and had to look up both.

"DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc, under the trade name Market Basket, is a chain of 71 supermarkets in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine."

Out west the big 3 are Vons (Safeway owned), Albertsons (29 states, 2nd largest US chain behind Kroger), and Ralphs supermarkets. We don't have Kroger stores out here, but Ralphs sells Kroger house brands.

I wonder if Walmart will be able to make a dent in those 3 chains out west here. I suppose they decided, why not try? The big 3 supermarkets out here have a store in almost every neighborhood whereas Walmart has superstores scattered far apart.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'd never heard of those 2 chains and had to look up both.

"DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc, under the trade name Market Basket, is a chain of 71 supermarkets in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine."

Out west the big 3 are Vons (Safeway owned), Albertsons (29 states, 2nd largest US chain behind Kroger), and Ralphs supermarkets. We don't have Kroger stores out here, but Ralphs sells Kroger house brands.

I wonder if Walmart will be able to make a dent in those 3 chains out west here. I suppose they decided, why not try? The big 3 supermarkets out here have a store in almost every neighborhood whereas Walmart has superstores scattered far apart.
I kinda figured that most walmarts had been turned into super stores by now, I guess there are some parts of the country that are still just regular walmarts.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I kinda figured that most walmarts had been turned into super stores by now, I guess there are some parts of the country that are still just regular walmarts.
There are some older Walmarts around here that were built into areas where they don't have the land or ownership rights to expand into. They still have a modest food section, tho nothing like newer Walmart superstores or remodeled ones.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

Our WalMart here is a very small one and hasn't gone to a SuperCenter. I've been burned before buying what little produce they offer, so I don't even bother anymore.

We only have Albertsons and Stater Brothers here. The other grocery chains are an hour and a half drive away. Stater Bros is my first choice, because their prices are lower than Alb's and they have a great meat selection - there are no fewer than 3 butchers at all times and they don't charge more for cutting and packaging meat to customer requests. "It's our meat that made us famous" is their slogan.

They are only in SoCal so most of you have probably never heard of it.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Our WalMart here is a very small one and hasn't gone to a SuperCenter. I've been burned before buying what little produce they offer, so I don't even bother anymore.

We only have Albertsons and Stater Brothers here. The other grocery chains are an hour and a half drive away. Stater Bros is my first choice, because their prices are lower than Alb's and they have a great meat selection - there are no fewer than 3 butchers at all times and they don't charge more for cutting and packaging meat to customer requests. "It's our meat that made us famous" is their slogan.

They are only in SoCal so most of you have probably never heard of it.
You know who else is getting big now in the grocery field? Smart N Final (believe it or not). Sure, Smart N Final had always had some food items, but now some of their newer stores are into groceries in a serious way. Heh...Smart N Final stores started out as mainly a store to buy cleaning products and paper plates and mops. (mostly dry goods). Also, many newer Target stores are now getting big into the grocery field.

Stores like Walmart, Target, Smart N Final have changed their strategy from years past regarding how much food they stock.

With food prices rising in an alarming way...it's no wonder these stores now suddenly want in on some of that gold.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #17
Master Chef

I used to go to Smart N Final when I bought for a school I used to work for. They had great deals on #10 cans of food items, and other things in bulk. It's been 15 years since I've been there. I now have a Costco membership and no longer work for the school, but I'll check out Smart N Final next time I'm down in that area just to see how they've changed over the years.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a built in mistrust for walmart, so i rarely buy any food there.

they are a few pennies to maybe a dollar cheaper than everywhere else, but at least i think i have a better chance that my food doesn't come from china.

downwind of a lead factory

and downstream from a political prison work camp.

oh, wait, except for the shiitakes and yu choy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #19
Head Chef

I think you'd need a major company that evaluates prices to figure out how the overall consumer benefits shopping for groceries at Walmart vs. the local major chain supermarket. It's too much for me to figure out.

BTW, Albertsons did away with typing in your customer ID number upon checkout (a year ago) in order to get preferred customer savings. I thought that was pretty bold, seeing as how Vons and Ralphs still require you to input your customer ID number at checkout in order to get preferred customer savings.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
Executive Chef

We have 2 local grocery chains, Giant Eagle and Shop and Save. I shop for "specials" at both of these stores, and only buy meat at Giant Eagle. There are some things I buy at Aldi's and some things I buy at WalMart. Most of the time these decisions are based on price/quality.

I recently signed up for WalMart's savings catcher online. I don't expect to make a bundle because I never buy more than 8-10 items, but I will take what I get.

We occasionally buy specials at Target and I get additional 5% off using my Target Redcard.

Giant Eagle requires that you use your member card for specials, but Shop and Save does not. Both offer saving on gasoline, which we don't use. My step-daughter uses ours.