Want to go to school for cooking and question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
Not really sure if this belongs here since its not really off topic or jokes but i didnt know where else to put it.

Anyway i've been seriously thinking about going to school to learn cooking. I'm pretty ok but i would love to learn more professionally. I wouldnt be able to go for a couple of years since i have 3 boys under 5 and my youngest is 10mo. I'm a stay at home mom and wont be able to really go back to school until my youngest is atleast 3 or 4 but its really something i want to do.

For those of you who are sous chefs or chefs when did you start out? I'm 26 now and i'm guessing i'll be 30 before i get to go to school so i'm just wondering when everyone else started.

Thanks.

Congratulations, debbie, on having a goal. My advice is to take the time before you "go to school" is to read, read, read and learn, learn, learn from anyone/everyone you can. DC is a great place to gain knowledge and ask questions. Practice those skills you read and learn about.

Yes, having small children will be a challenge but, if you have a partner who is supportive, you will make great strides.

Keep the faith and keep your dream.

Hi Debbie:

sounds as tho you really do have your hands full right now! Three little boys are a joy and a lot of work!

Before you make any serious plans to go to culinary school, there are a couple of things you need to do and to consider.

1. What is it you want to do with that degree/skill after you attain it?

2. (but even more important) is that you need to work in a professional kitchen before you make the time and money commitment to culinary school. Cooking at home, even for large groups, is nothing like the pressure, heat, long hours of a professional kitchen. It is a proverbial pressure cooker.

If you have never cooked in a professional kitchen before, you may have to go in as a dish dog. That will still give you the perspective you need to know if this lifestyle is for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom