"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I love lox! When I was pregnant I ate bagels cream cheese tomatoes onion capers lox every day! It was expensive I'm sure but what a pregnant woman wants a pregnant woman gets.

I tried pork rinds not too long ago. Thought they would be better I guess as they were so big 10
Yrs ago.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Is there a food that you have always wanted to try, then when you did, it didn't meet your expectations, or it was okay but you could take it or leave it?

For me the latest food in this category is lox. I have always heard about lox and bagels, so when I saw some at the store the other day I got it. I can't eat bagels right now, but I had some cream cheese and decided just to have that with it. It was actually pretty good, but I decided it wasn't good enough to spend that much money on. I may try it again someday, but it won't be a regular for us.
The going price for Scottish cold smoked salmon is about $40 per pound. My wife and I split 1/4 lb for breakfast the other day and it was worth every penny. While price is no guarantee of quality, it's unlikely that good quality smoked salmon can be acquired for under $30 per pound.
http://www.mackenzieltd.com/

Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

I finally tried Buffalo chicken wings at a restaurant -- Your "meh" is the perfect word to use on these occasions, Barb. They were OK, but I wished I had ordered something else.

One thing I tried that I was sure I wouldn't like but did was oven-roasted brussels sprouts.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Executive Chef

The sun dried oil packed tomatoes we tried were too salty for us.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
For me it is revisiting childhood favorites and going, "What did I ever see in it?" Immediately coming to mind are Kraft mac & cheese (the kind with the powdered cheese) and Chung King (or was it La Choy) canned "Chinese" food, the kind that came in two or three cans taped together. I loved these as a child. Oh, and my first stroganof was Hamburger Helper. I tried these again as a sort of joke and what a disaster. They're awful!
I tried it once and it was so salty. I had to spit out the first mouthful. Horrible. And I used to feed that to my kids? My son came by at just the right time. He took a mouthful and went home. Tossed out the boxes he had in his cabinet.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Sun-dried tomatoes - meh

Truffles - yech. There's a nice restaurant near us that has great food, but they put shaved truffles on the lobster mac 'n cheese. Tastes like dirt to me.

My mom used to make a pork roast one night, then chop suey with the leftovers and canned Chinese veggies. I think there was a recipe for a sauce on the can. I used to love it growing up, but now I make my own sauces and use fresh veggies. Still a good use for leftovers, though.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sun-dried tomatoes - meh

Truffles - yech. There's a nice restaurant near us that has great food, but they put shaved truffles on the lobster mac 'n cheese. Tastes like dirt to me.

My mom used to make a pork roast one night, then chop suey with the leftovers and canned Chinese veggies. I think there was a recipe for a sauce on the can. I used to love it growing up, but now I make my own sauces and use fresh veggies. Still a good use for leftovers, though.
I've eaten some quite tasty pate foie gras that contained black truffles.
Some red beets and morel mushrooms have an earthy flavor that could be uncharitably described as tasting like dirt.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I have tried to like coffee but I just can't do it. I can't even stand the drinks that people say taste more like a shake then coffee, that bitter taste just sticks with me.

I still love my Kraft mac and cheese!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I have tried to like coffee but I just can't do it. I can't even stand the drinks that people say taste more like a shake then coffee, that bitter taste just sticks with me.

I still love my Kraft mac and cheese!
Do you also dislike beer?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The sun dried oil packed tomatoes we tried were too salty for us.
I found them too salty also and very tough to chew. They were in olive oil. They will never be in my pantry. Yuk!