"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry, I meant steamed Fiona

Yes frying in oil would be nice with some cheese sauce on top maybe

Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had heard all kinds of good about raw oysters. Meh. Doesn't gross me out, but kinda bland and the texture leaves plenty to be desired.
It is amazing how much difference there is in oysters. Location seems to be everything! The oysters that come from the Chesapeake Bay are much milder than the ones from Swans Quarter (my personal preference). I reckon the same is true all over the world.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nutella. I wanted to try it for the longest time, thinking it was a hazelnut spread. I finally bought some (expensive) and found it tasted like a kind of thin and very bad chocolate sauce. I won't waste my money again, and no, I wasn't able to use it up. I threw it away after trying several times.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I tried it once and it was so salty. I had to spit out the first mouthful. Horrible. And I used to feed that to my kids? My son came by at just the right time. He took a mouthful and went home. Tossed out the boxes he had in his cabinet.
On top of it, it's ridiculous to look at the ingredients and realize you can do the same thing quite easily out of your pantry and it will taste good. The hamburger helper stroganof did, though, inspire me to make stroganof -- the real thing -- for my family, and it is still one of my biggest hits all around. My mom used to buy these things (she was mostly a cook-from-scratch person) when we went on camping trips and cookouts weren't an option for weather. Or when we were moving from station-to-station, living in cheap motel rooms and she was feeding us from her trusty electric skillet and her percolator (which she never made coffee in, just used it to boil water).

I really hope your son didn't toss them out, but donated to a food bank. Even hamburger helper is better than an empty tummy!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Why Kylie yuking at asparagus? Shame on you. I roast mine in evoo after I wrap it in prosciutto and as it comes out of the oven shave parm over the top and I like to sprinkle the whole mess with evoo and white balsamic . Give it one more try there girl
kades
You can wrap it in bacon too! Babetoo taught me to wrap it in puff pastry too. Yum!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara
Nutella. I wanted to try it for the longest time, thinking it was a hazelnut spread. I finally bought some (expensive) and found it tasted like a kind of thin and very bad chocolate sauce. I won't waste my money again, and no, I wasn't able to use it up. I threw it away after trying several times.
Dark chocolate almond butter is good. Much better than Nutella IMHO.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Sorry, I meant steamed Fiona

Yes frying in oil would be nice with some cheese sauce on top maybe
Y'know, I don't like steamed anything except rice It just waters down the flavor of the ingredient. Sprinkle with evoo, S&P and roast for about 8 minutes. I use the toaster oven, since it's usually just the two of us. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice when it comes out and serve right away. It's best when hot.

Another meh - creme brulee. I like strong flavors and, while I rarely eat dessert, I usually want something with chocolate
Old 08-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Dark chocolate almond butter is good. Much better than Nutella IMHO.
I'm sure it would if that was what I was hoping for which was a nutty change for peanut butter.

I had no idea it had (so called) chocolate in it and that it would take over any possible taste of the nuts, and such lousy tasting chocolate at that.

Thanks for the info though, I'll have to try it. I'll bet it would be good spread on some gingersnaps.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had heard all kinds of good about raw oysters. Meh. Doesn't gross me out, but kinda bland and the texture leaves plenty to be desired.
Deep fried or oyster stew. Now those I can fill up on. But not raw. They are also good done on the BBQ grill. Cooked right in their shell and juices. A squirt of lemon and a drop of hot sauce.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I really hope your son didn't toss them out, but donated to a food bank. Even hamburger helper is better than an empty tummy!
They went to the church food bank.