Wanted it. Tried it. Meh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Is there a food that you have always wanted to try, then when you did, it didn't meet your expectations, or it was okay but you could take it or leave it?

For me the latest food in this category is lox. I have always heard about lox and bagels, so when I saw some at the store the other day I got it. I can't eat bagels right now, but I had some cream cheese and decided just to have that with it. It was actually pretty good, but I decided it wasn't good enough to spend that much money on. I may try it again someday, but it won't be a regular for us. :cool:

I'm not really into lox either. I tried coffee again (I love the way it smells and have never liked the taste). Instill don't like coffee. I thought maybe I would grow old enough to like it. ;). yuck!!!
I didn't like cheesecake as a kid (I know, it's hard to believe). As a young adult I tried it again and feel into a love that will never die. :D. Yum!!!

I wanted to try asparagus as I never had tried it...but didnt like it and wont have it again...also Tofu...YUK!

Kylie1969 said:
I wanted to try asparagus as I never had tried it...but didnt like it and wont have it again...also Tofu...YUK!

Did you try it raw or cooked? I could never eat the canned Asparagus. It is a mushy mess.

We tried it both ways Chopper...just didnt like the taste, the texture was okay, just not the taste for me :(

Tofu is kind of bland. It's supposed to be in a dish where it can absorb flavours. Give it a try at a Chinese restaurant, where they may call it bean curd. They have been using it for a long time and know how to make it taste good. ;)

For me it was caviar, nasty stuff! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Next on the list is ugli fruit or jicama.

It seems like as I have gotten older I am happiest with the foods I grew up with.

For me it was caviar, nasty stuff! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Next on the list is ugli fruit or jicama.

It seems like as I have gotten older I am happiest with the foods I grew up with.

I am with you on that. I want my comfort foods. Homemade beef stew, chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, meatloaf. There is nothing like coming home in the cold of winter and having a hot bowl of beef stew waiting for you. In the summer it would have to be homemade potato salad, coleslaw and meat of your choice. When I am hungry and tired, I don't want you experimenting on me with some food I have never had or can't pronounce. I am williing to try different fruits though. :angel:

For me it is revisiting childhood favorites and going, "What did I ever see in it?" Immediately coming to mind are Kraft mac & cheese (the kind with the powdered cheese) and Chung King (or was it La Choy) canned "Chinese" food, the kind that came in two or three cans taped together. I loved these as a child. Oh, and my first stroganof was Hamburger Helper. I tried these again as a sort of joke and what a disaster. They're awful!

I love lox! When I was pregnant I ate bagels cream cheese tomatoes onion capers lox every day! It was expensive I'm sure but what a pregnant woman wants a pregnant woman gets.

I tried pork rinds not too long ago. Thought they would be better I guess as they were so big 10
Yrs ago.

Is there a food that you have always wanted to try, then when you did, it didn't meet your expectations, or it was okay but you could take it or leave it?

For me the latest food in this category is lox. I have always heard about lox and bagels, so when I saw some at the store the other day I got it. I can't eat bagels right now, but I had some cream cheese and decided just to have that with it. It was actually pretty good, but I decided it wasn't good enough to spend that much money on. I may try it again someday, but it won't be a regular for us. :cool:
The going price for Scottish cold smoked salmon is about $40 per pound. My wife and I split 1/4 lb for breakfast the other day and it was worth every penny. While price is no guarantee of quality, it's unlikely that good quality smoked salmon can be acquired for under $30 per pound.
http://www.mackenzieltd.com/

Last edited:
I finally tried Buffalo chicken wings at a restaurant -- Your "meh" is the perfect word to use on these occasions, Barb. They were OK, but I wished I had ordered something else.

One thing I tried that I was sure I wouldn't like but did was oven-roasted brussels sprouts.

For me it is revisiting childhood favorites and going, "What did I ever see in it?" Immediately coming to mind are Kraft mac & cheese (the kind with the powdered cheese) and Chung King (or was it La Choy) canned "Chinese" food, the kind that came in two or three cans taped together. I loved these as a child. Oh, and my first stroganof was Hamburger Helper. I tried these again as a sort of joke and what a disaster. They're awful!

I tried it once and it was so salty. I had to spit out the first mouthful. Horrible. And I used to feed that to my kids? My son came by at just the right time. He took a mouthful and went home. Tossed out the boxes he had in his cabinet. :rolleyes:

Sun-dried tomatoes - meh

Truffles - yech. There's a nice restaurant near us that has great food, but they put shaved truffles on the lobster mac 'n cheese. Tastes like dirt to me.

My mom used to make a pork roast one night, then chop suey with the leftovers and canned Chinese veggies. I think there was a recipe for a sauce on the can. I used to love it growing up, but now I make my own sauces and use fresh veggies. Still a good use for leftovers, though.

Last edited:
Sun-dried tomatoes - meh

Truffles - yech. There's a nice restaurant near us that has great food, but they put shaved truffles on the lobster mac 'n cheese. Tastes like dirt to me.

My mom used to make a pork roast one night, then chop suey with the leftovers and canned Chinese veggies. I think there was a recipe for a sauce on the can. I used to love it growing up, but now I make my own sauces and use fresh veggies. Still a good use for leftovers, though.
I've eaten some quite tasty pate foie gras that contained black truffles.
Some red beets and morel mushrooms have an earthy flavor that could be uncharitably described as tasting like dirt.

Last edited:
I have tried to like coffee but I just can't do it. I can't even stand the drinks that people say taste more like a shake then coffee, that bitter taste just sticks with me.

I still love my Kraft mac and cheese!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom