"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Master Chef

Warning about snow blowers

Just thought I would remind everyone about the dangers of snowblowers. My sister-in-law just called and said her dh got his hand caught in his snowblower late this afternoon. He is still in with the doctor, he has been in there going on two hours. He "did not" lose any fingers (Thank God) but they think he has a fracture on one finger and needs lots of stiches on the other four. He said he cannot believe he did something so stupid. He just warned his son about this very thing on Saturday. So please be careful.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Joann, so sorry to here about your sisters husband..Good thoughts coming his way,

kadesma

Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

JoAnn L. , thank goodness your brother in law did not lose any fingers! Many people in my area use snow blowers, but I have to ask how one gets their fingers caught up? I suppose the blade is still moving when trying to adjust it, rather than cutting the motor first? I dont know much about these things but would like to learn. I just use a shovel which I absolutely hate, and is getting harder and harder to do.

I sincerely hope your brother in law heals well, with minimal stitches, and some mild pain relievers!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Several years ago my neighbour was using her snow blower and used her hand to remove the ice and snow that had built up in the blower part, instead of the shovel that comes with most blowers. She lost all of one finger and half of another. I'll never forget the grisly trail of blood in the snow
Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Several years ago my neighbour was using her snow blower and used her hand to remove the ice and snow that had built up in the blower part, instead of the shovel that comes with most blowers. She lost all of one finger and half of another. I'll never forget the grisly trail of blood in the snow
Ahh, I didnt even think about the fact of the snow/ice build up and removing it manually. How horrible for her.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
OH God! Even the though of it is horrible. I pray he gets back to normal ASAP.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Ahh, I didnt even think about the fact of the snow/ice build up and removing it manually. How horrible for her.
Thanks for the thoughts, Amber. At the time, we were both the troop leaders of a group of brownies, both our daughters and about 15 other girls in the troop. Not only did they get a very valuable lesson about machine safety, but they learned empathy. The empathy was for their friend who's mother was hurt, and for the troop leader, when she returned, 'different'. Even some of life's most horrible deals can be used to benefit others if the strength is there.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Sous Chef

JoAnn, I am so sorry to hear that and I hope he recovers soon. He and his family will be in my prayers.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks everybody, I will keep you posted. This happened to his right hand and he is a painter so I hope there is no permanent damage.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Cook

A timely reminder. Thank you! I stopped using circular saws a couple of years ago because my inattention was making them a danger. I should probably reconsider buying a snow blower and pay someone to clear our walks.