Warning!!! Online bank scams thru email

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
hey everyone,

i just wanted to warn you that there is an email scam going around where you recieve an official looking email from your bank, informing you that there has been suspicious online activity in your account, so in order to protect you, you should click on a link supplied in the email, and you have to enter your social security number and maybe some other personal info to reactivate your account.

don't do it!!!

it is a scam. if you click on the link provided, you will be taken to a fake site that looks just like your bank's website, but you are then supplying the crooks with lots of your personal info.

i just got one of these, so i closed my web browser, restarted it and logged directly into my account using my normal password and username. there was no odd activity. in fact, a co-worker recieved the same email today, but he only has a car loan thru that bank; not something he ever goes online to access, nor would he have any accounts to be fiddled with, except the loan.

just thought i'd give everyone a heads up...

Great advice from BT!

No real company will ever say there is a problem and you need to plug in your SSN#. Anytime you see that happen it is a scam. It might look legit, but it is not. If you ever suspect anything then pick up the phone and call that company. They will be able to tell you if there was a problem with your account.

Bucky is right... also under any circumstance don't give out any of your personal info, password, pin code, etc. for your bank account, no matter how "official" the request may look. The banks or any security establishment would never ask for personal infos like this through e-mail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom