"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I think the biggest potlucks I've ever experienced was when I was growing up. Our church would have homecoming every year and all the ladies would bring their absolute BEST and plenty of it. They would advertise all over the area that there would be Homecoming, with dinner on the ground. It wasn't actually on the ground as there would be long tables of food of every sort to taste and the desserts alone would be overwhelming. We knew all the people and had eaten in the homes of most of them and them in ours. Everyone would go home completely sated and feeling there wasn't a need for another meal ever.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
You did very good. You brought your best. That's what being a friend is all about. You brought enough for yourself, and several others, probably something for all 40.

The idea of a pot luck is not to serve everyone in the house with one person's dish, but rather to participate in an activity where everyone shares in the responsibility of feeding the group. You should get a smorgasbord of differing foods to choose from, and everyone should sample just enough so as to leave something for everyone else. No one should feel cheated, whether at the beginning or end of the line.

And with cooking really being a labor of love, if done for the right reasons, why everybody can't share in the proper spirit is beyond me. Some people only think of themselves, I guess. And MsMoffet, that certainly isn't you!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
thank you

Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Head Chef

Msmofet--there is nothing wrong with bringing chips and salsa--everyone likes a side of chips. But. . . in my family potluck example, that family only brought a couple bags of chips, for 5 adults and one small child. If I was bringing a family of that size, I would bring enough food to feed all of my family (a large lasagna, or some other kind of casserole) with lots left over to share.

I generally go with my mom to the family reunion--she makes a large pan of lasagna, and I take a huge tossed salad. (Between the two of us, we could feed 10 people!)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Msmofet--there is nothing wrong with bringing chips and salsa--everyone likes a side of chips. But. . . in my family potluck example, that family only brought a couple bags of chips, for 5 adults and one small child. If I was bringing a family of that size, I would bring enough food to feed all of my family (a large lasagna, or some other kind of casserole) with lots left over to share.

I generally go with my mom to the family reunion--she makes a large pan of lasagna, and I take a huge tossed salad. (Between the two of us, we could feed 10 people!)
that sounds good. i was just wondering if i had brought enough (at the time it was my hub and i, a 7 year old girl and a 6 month old baby). that was the only experience i ever had with a potluck.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
that sounds good. i was just wondering if i had brought enough (at the time it was my hub and i, a 7 year old girl and a 6 month old baby). that was the only experience i ever had with a potluck.

Figure it this way: They asked you to do the same thing the next year. That indicates to me that your offering was well received and appreciated. It sounds to me like what you brought was considered appropriate.