Warning to All Pot Luck Participants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had decided to take pulled pork to our church pot luck last Sunday. On Friday, I looked in the fridge and saw two chuck roasts needing to be used. They were the perfect thing to make shredded beef with. So I changed my mind about what I was going to take. I bought the supplies to make shredded beef tacos and buritoes, with both fresh corn and flour tortillas, sharp cheddar and a mixture of medium cheddar, jack, and queso (I know, it's Mexican for Cheese, but that was labeled as a seperate cheese on the package, honest), tomatoes, sour cream, vidalia onions, and a few other ingredients. I started my meat on the covered Webber Charcoal grill, over direct heat, and after fifteen minutes per side, moved it to the slow cooker on medium. I let it cook for about 14 hours before shredding it. It was seasoned with fresh onion, salt, garlic, and cilantro while cooking. It came out wonderfully tender and juicy. I also made refried beans from a combination of pinto and black beans, seasoned with coriander, cumin, and onion, with a hint of Sriracha Sauce.

Now what has this got to do with a warning? If I had made the pulled pork, it would have tasted great, but the potluck would have been a mess. You see, no one else brought a main dish. All we had besides my shredded beef and fixin's was a potato salad and a bunch of deserts. The pulled pork would hafe required more meat per person for a sandwich than did either the taco or burritoes. As it was, there was barely enough to go around. I wasn't sure everyone was going to get fed.

The moral of the story, if you participate in any pot lucks, make sure that there is someone to organize the menu, so as to make sure that there is sufficient food to get the job done. In my case, two 3 lb. chuck roasts was just barely enough to feed thirty or so people. I'm glad I didn't opt to bring the peanut butter cookies my wife had suggested rather than the shredded beef and fixin's. Whew!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, You'd have a great time at our Sr's dinner. We have one each month and I think a lot of the people bring only enough of one dish for themselves. We don't go anymore because even taking 3 family size dishes, the pickings would be lean by the time the last person got there and that was usually us. I mentioned it to the ladies in charge since I'd noticed one couple who always made two large plates each (one to take home) and it seemed no body would say anything to them about it. Now the church furnishes the main dish - ham, chicken, roast beef, etc, and the covered dishes are brought by others. I suppose we should go back since I was bold enough to confront the powers that be about it, but I'm not too keen on eating food from places I don't know.

I'm not clear on what's wrong with nothing but a bunch of desserts, but I suppose if you want real food, it's best to assign dishes to folks. For example, people with last names beginning with A though G bring appetizers or salads, H through R bring main courses, and S through Z bring desserts. The groups can be rotated so everyone gets a chance in each category.

Anyway, I'm surprised they haven't simply decided that Goodweed bring EVERYTHING!

I'm not clear on what's wrong with nothing but a bunch of desserts, but I suppose if you want real food, it's best to assign dishes to folks. For example, people with last names beginning with A though G bring appetizers or salads, H through R bring main courses, and S through Z bring desserts. The groups can be rotated so everyone gets a chance in each category.

Anyway, I'm surprised they haven't simply decided that Goodweed bring EVERYTHING!

I can't afford to feed 35 to 40 people once a month! At this rate, I won't retire until I'm 110.:(

Ah well, 'tis better by far to give than to receive. There are blessings in store for those who give of themselves.

I had decided to take pulled pork to our church pot luck last Sunday. On Friday, I looked in the fridge and saw two chuck roasts needing to be used. They were the perfect thing to make shredded beef with. So I changed my mind about what I was going to take. I bought the supplies to make shredded beef tacos and buritoes, with both fresh corn and flour tortillas, sharp cheddar and a mixture of medium cheddar, jack, and queso (I know, it's Mexican for Cheese, but that was labeled as a seperate cheese on the package, honest), tomatoes, sour cream, vidalia onions, and a few other ingredients. I started my meat on the covered Webber Charcoal grill, over direct heat, and after fifteen minutes per side, moved it to the slow cooker on medium. I let it cook for about 14 hours before shredding it. It was seasoned with fresh onion, salt, garlic, and cilantro while cooking. It came out wonderfully tender and juicy. I also made refried beans from a combination of pinto and black beans, seasoned with coriander, cumin, and onion, with a hint of Sriracha Sauce.

Now what has this got to do with a warning? If I had made the pulled pork, it would have tasted great, but the potluck would have been a mess. You see, no one else brought a main dish. All we had besides my shredded beef and fixin's was a potato salad and a bunch of deserts. The pulled pork would hafe required more meat per person for a sandwich than did either the taco or burritoes. As it was, there was barely enough to go around. I wasn't sure everyone was going to get fed.

The moral of the story, if you participate in any pot lucks, make sure that there is someone to organize the menu, so as to make sure that there is sufficient food to get the job done. In my case, two 3 lb. chuck roasts was just barely enough to feed thirty or so people. I'm glad I didn't opt to bring the peanut butter cookies my wife had suggested rather than the shredded beef and fixin's. Whew!

YIKES!! we know what happened to the last person who said let them eat cake!! :LOL:

I guess some people just don't understand the potluck principle--bring enough for yourself and your family, and plenty to share.

We have a potluck at our family reunion in July, and I have cousins who show up with 2 bags of potato chips and 6 or 7 people. There is also a family that brings those "professional potlucker" plates--huge divided trays, which they fill to overflowing, and of course, they are always first in line.

By the time the aunties who have been busting their butts in the kitchen get to eat, the pickin's are slim.

Goodweed, that sounds like our potlucks at work. Everyone wanted to bring the plastic plates and cutlery. :LOL: You did great!!!!

Loprraine -

You forgot the chips, soda, and the bread... that's the stuff the folks that can't/won't cook want to bring. And if they bring dessert, they bring a large flat cake from a place like Costco.

LOL

Bob

i have never been to a potluck unless you regard an xmas party at a karate school potluck. i brought 2 lbs. of homemade mac salad and a tub of homemade salsa (there were many of south american origins there that couldn't believe it was homemade!!) and 4 giant bags of tortilla chips. there were about 40 or so people there, did i do good? the next year i was requested to repeat.

i have never been to a potluck unless you regard an xmas party at a karate school potluck. i brought 2 lbs. of homemade mac salad and a tub of homemade salsa (there were many of south american origins there that couldn't believe it was homemade!!) and 4 giant bags of tortilla chips. there were about 40 or so people there, did i do good? the next year i was requested to repeat.

You did very good. You brought your best. That's what being a friend is all about. You brought enough for yourself, and several others, probably something for all 40.:)

The idea of a pot luck is not to serve everyone in the house with one person's dish, but rather to participate in an activity where everyone shares in the responsibility of feeding the group. You should get a smorgasbord of differing foods to choose from, and everyone should sample just enough so as to leave something for everyone else. No one should feel cheated, whether at the beginning or end of the line.

And with cooking really being a labor of love, if done for the right reasons, why everybody can't share in the proper spirit is beyond me. Some people only think of themselves, I guess. And MsMoffet, that certainly isn't you!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think the biggest potlucks I've ever experienced was when I was growing up. Our church would have homecoming every year and all the ladies would bring their absolute BEST and plenty of it. They would advertise all over the area that there would be Homecoming, with dinner on the ground. It wasn't actually on the ground as there would be long tables of food of every sort to taste and the desserts alone would be overwhelming. We knew all the people and had eaten in the homes of most of them and them in ours. Everyone would go home completely sated and feeling there wasn't a need for another meal ever.

You did very good. You brought your best. That's what being a friend is all about. You brought enough for yourself, and several others, probably something for all 40.:)

The idea of a pot luck is not to serve everyone in the house with one person's dish, but rather to participate in an activity where everyone shares in the responsibility of feeding the group. You should get a smorgasbord of differing foods to choose from, and everyone should sample just enough so as to leave something for everyone else. No one should feel cheated, whether at the beginning or end of the line.

And with cooking really being a labor of love, if done for the right reasons, why everybody can't share in the proper spirit is beyond me. Some people only think of themselves, I guess. And MsMoffet, that certainly isn't you!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
thank you

Msmofet--there is nothing wrong with bringing chips and salsa--everyone likes a side of chips. But. . . in my family potluck example, that family only brought a couple bags of chips, for 5 adults and one small child. If I was bringing a family of that size, I would bring enough food to feed all of my family (a large lasagna, or some other kind of casserole) with lots left over to share.

I generally go with my mom to the family reunion--she makes a large pan of lasagna, and I take a huge tossed salad. (Between the two of us, we could feed 10 people!)

Msmofet--there is nothing wrong with bringing chips and salsa--everyone likes a side of chips. But. . . in my family potluck example, that family only brought a couple bags of chips, for 5 adults and one small child. If I was bringing a family of that size, I would bring enough food to feed all of my family (a large lasagna, or some other kind of casserole) with lots left over to share.

I generally go with my mom to the family reunion--she makes a large pan of lasagna, and I take a huge tossed salad. (Between the two of us, we could feed 10 people!)
that sounds good. i was just wondering if i had brought enough (at the time it was my hub and i, a 7 year old girl and a 6 month old baby). that was the only experience i ever had with a potluck.

that sounds good. i was just wondering if i had brought enough (at the time it was my hub and i, a 7 year old girl and a 6 month old baby). that was the only experience i ever had with a potluck.

Figure it this way: They asked you to do the same thing the next year. That indicates to me that your offering was well received and appreciated. It sounds to me like what you brought was considered appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom