"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Head Chef

Washing machine not draining?

Any one got any ideas?

Its a horrid little slimline washing machine, and I note limescale has obviously been a problem so I have been putting a product for that in each wash. Its been draining reluctantly, until last night when it gave up completely: I had to hand wash DH's favourite WHITE shirt for his business trip to London tonight, NOT FUN, I don't mind handwashing but white shirts with double cuffs etc.....phew.

Any how, I've put the drainage pipe in the bath and it is draaining a little....but not much...any idea what the normal flow should be? I'm wondering if it really could be limescale in the machine AND the pipe into the wall and the tube running into the bath is at least draining, but not so regularly...a wire coathanger finds no missing socks etc.
I

Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it`s unlikely to be a Gravity Drain, so it`s possible that you have limescale in your Pump too.
the treatment you`ve recently started using May have released a Chunk of this material that`s causing the problem.

without a strip down and a good look, I`ve no idea what else to suggest.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, I'm preety sure now its limescale (I'm peering in, unscrewing and prodding and investigating! ). I'm going to put some stuff dirctly in the outflow pipe I think.....Thanks YT!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
some toilet cleaners are specifically designed for Limescale removal, if you have some of that and can apply it to areas you suspect and can wait a while, it Might help a little.

I use Hydrochloric acid diluted for limescale, kettles and such, if you have some and know what you`re doing, then that will work 10X better and much faster (it`s also non toxic).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Head Chef

I already used Viacal...see, your influence is run=bbing off! Stuff came gushing out when i put the drain cycle on! I'm guessing its going to need repeating sa few times! My next step was gonna be bicarb and vinegsr...but the viacal seems to be doing the trick!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Consider that, rather than a blockage, the drain pump could have failed.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Head Chef

Now that I got some of the gunk out a lot of limescale flakes and chunks and other stuff obviously piling up behind it, its draining into the bath much better Andy! I'm guessing that means limescale and gunk is the cause. ....now, whether the gunk is just in the flexible pipe of in the pipe the=rough the wall I don't know!. But atleast I can do washing now. The pipe keeps re gunking, but I'm shaking it through. I feel quite handy to day! Husbands, who needs them (when I can ask my ractical friends here, huh?)
Old 04-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I don't have any limescale, but there are times I have to run my final spin cycle twice and clueless as to why.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Everymom

Lulu, I use straight vinegar to clean out my water distiller, it melts the limescale after a couple of hours and is much more environmentally friendly. Give that a go when you are done your wash. (A whole 3 liters or more)
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Head Chef

Great! One of my cleaning agents of choice! I'll get a huge vat of it tomorrow, lol! Thanks Alix.