"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Everymom

Wasps?

OK, we have had our share of nests to get rid of, and have done so successfully. My question actually is about how many wasps you see per day or hour on your deck/patio. I feel we have a very high concentration of them around our deck. (And yes, I know it is August and they are more noticeable now)

I was just out on the deck with my husband and I bet we killed more than 25 wasps and shooed away dozens more. I finally gave up. I can only tolerate so many landings or buzzings at my face before I freak.

We can't find any place where they seem to be more concentrated than others. No sense that there is a nest closeby except for the elevated numbers. So...how many wasps is normal?

Old 08-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

Don't know how many are normal for your area, but I generally see 10 - 20 per day, depending on where I am. Most people don't know it, but wasps are meat eaters, as are hornets (and some people call various hornets, such as yellow jackets and bald-faced hornes, wasps). I see them more frequently where food is served and where people congregate around food. This is because the food draws flies, and the flies draw the little, winged-predators. I've watched a single hornet gulp down as many as 5 flies that were about half the hornets size. They hover around, flying slowly, hunting, watching, especially around barbecues and picknic tables. When they see a fly land, they pounce on it.

Oh, and occasionally, I know of people who have been bitten, not stung, but bitten by yellow jackets.

The big-black wasps that look so dangerous, from what I'm told, pack a powerful wallop in thier sting. I've never been stung by one and so can't say one way or the other. But I've had my share, and several other people's share of yellow jacket and hornet stings, coupled with a few bumble bee stings as well. That's the price you pay for playing along streams and in the woods as a child. From the critters that have stung me, the yellow jackets are the most painful. My dad said that the bald-face hornet. a black little bugger with a white face, got him between the eyes as a teen, and knoked him off his feet with the pain. I've never been stung by one and so can't say which one is worse. Bumble bees are a cake walk compared to hornets and wasps, especially since bees can only sting once. Then they lose their stinger and die. Hornets and wasps sting again and again. I know, I have trod upon to yellow jacket nests that were built underground. I had many welts from those encounters.

As an added bit of info, if you step on a nest, especially if you squish one of the hornets, they leave a tell-tale scent on you. You can't smell it, but the other hornets can. The first time I stepped on a nest, at about age 7, they singled me out from a half dozen other boys who were with me. I was the only one who got nailed. I was the one who had the scent on my shoe.

Oh, and if you're in the Phillippines, bees don't even need a reason to come and sting you. I was with shipmates at a party that our church put on, on base. I was in a swimming pool. I heard a yelp. Someone had gotten stung on the foot. I figured he'd stepped upon a loan bee. The a swarm of the winged bandits came through and nearly all of us, including me, suffered stings. I got hit on the forearm as I lifted it out of the water while swimming. We all high-tailed it out of there, and quick.

Yep, I know something about stings and venomous insects. I've gotten my share of bites and stings, and as I said earlier, a few other peoples share as well.

Just be careful with the wasps. If you get them mad, they'll nail you multiple times. And one little more thing, it hurts much more on the finger tip than on the forearm. I know that one from personal experience too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Alix,

Sounds like you might have a nest a nearby. I noticed an abundance of wasps in my yard and started looking around and found a nest under my front porch. See the link below for what interesting times that Claire and I had with wasps or hornets nests in our yards. If you don't feel comfortable dealing with them I recommend that you call a professional. That is what I did.

SC

Mad as a Hornet?

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Everymom

I followed that thread SierraCook. We have removed several nests from our yard over the years. And my uncle is an entomologist so he was a huge help in removing them. Unfortunately, he is not around as an information source right now so I need to ask you guys for help. I think it seems like too many of the nasty beasts not to have a nest nearby, but DH and I have been pretty vigilant in watching for any unusual activity that would indicate a nest and haven't seen any.

I have heard that this is a particularly bad year for them. I am looking forward to hearing about numbers from other folks too.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Bad year Alix??? Sierra got bit twice yesterday...once the day before....Seth got bit on the back of his head..huge welt....its awful.

The wasps seem to cling to sweetness...I was at a Bull Buckoff last night and where there was pop the wasps just swormed...ahhh....I cant do all teh little critters.

On CKGY....ok Our local radio station they were mentioning things to ward them off or to help get rid of them...two things that stuck out....

Rub yourself with a BOUNCE fabric sheet...hang them around your deck, ect......supposed to work??hehe

The other one is to hang a wiener above a dish full of soapy water....the wasps will swarm to the meat and there is supposed to be something in the weiner that makes them full. When they get too full they fall into the soapy water and the soap does something to their wings and they cant fly so....the drown...poor things!!! LMAO!! sorry I hate them.....

Only thing is to try these and see if they work.....I havent tried them yet.....just heard about them...I know the bounce works for mosquitos.....its worth a try
Old 08-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
DC Grandma

We have two yellow jacket traps in our back yard and they fill up pretty fast. DH dumps them into a zip lock bag and into the freezer until trash day.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Master Chef

it seems to be to cold in Germany for wasps
haven't seen some for days except the two we have indoors, but they must be different, they are just interested in our flowers, no bothering us...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Master Chef

Alix, we're having a heck of a time with them here, too. DH and I watched them going in and out of the vent on our gas fireplace when we were outside this afternoon. I sure hope there isn't a way they can get in the house from there!

I counted at least 10-15 in just a few moments so I'm sure if I stuck around to count more (which I won't because they scare me to death!) I'd have numbers like yours.

My question now is how to get them out of our gas fireplace vent? They vent is caulked shut to the side of the house and the critters are just getting in and out through a small hole. As DH said, he's not about to spray into a gas fireplace with wasp killer!I hate to spend the $$ to get a fireplace repair company out but I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions?
Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
what about putting some screen where the hole is?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
Contest Winner

Cool

Alix, It depends on the kind you have, The big fat Bumble Bees most people call yellow jackets are just that Bumble Bees they are a problem they will build a nest under your house and can cause a lot of damage ! True Hornets Build huge upside down volcano like nests, Leave them alone. They are very aggressive and are hard to kill but they won't be back after that short stay. Small German wasps, like food and garbage they are around for a short time in the fall and are aggressive. The rest of bees and wasps are not that big of a deal. All bees and wasps , (except Hornets and Bumble bees) can be killed with a nice fine mist from a spray bottle with a little gasoline in it. If they touch the mist from gasoline they die in mid air this is the cheapest way to kill them. I love working on cars and carry a bottle with me in case I am working on a old car they have taken over!