"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Great idea, YT! I'll start carrying a calculator when I'm taking a shortcut through a back alley.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
I was so irritated tonight other than the awesome price i got on a micro. Anyways i got 4 serrano peppers. I usually don't even look at the price stuff is ringing up i just trust them (BIG MISTAKE). I watched her ring up the 4 serrano peppers and the price came to $8.72....I WAS LIKE OMG. I immediatly said something of course. I was like serranos at the price of saffron. Anyways he comes back and acts like he fixed it. As i am walking away i am looking at my receipt and i see they charged me for an entire pound of serranos not 4. I dought 4 of them weigh a pound. They would be world record size serranos then. I was so irritated. So then i have to go to customer service and wait in a huge line to get it refunded and the lady ask the manager of the floor supervisors to come over. She takes me to a still has a drawer in it (nice lady she was) and charges me what i was supposed to get charged for the peppers $.28. Can you believe that. Can you imagine how many people don't watch this stuff and get overcharged. I remember my dad gettting charged $4.00 for a head of garlic.

I guess im just trying to warm everyone to watch everything as its being scanned to make sure they are not ripping you off.

Ncage
I worked in retail for 23 years. I saw this happen all the time. I watch all of my receipts. I see overcharges happen at "all" stores. We have a grocery store here that if the item does not ring up right, they will give you that item free. I can't tell you how many grocery items I got free. Please watch your receipts.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
you know, ncage, walmart used to have a policy where if they overcharged you for anything, they'd refund + give you $2 for your trouble. had it on square stickers by each register at the wm in the little town where i went to college.

i certainly used to bring a list back in the day when i was shopping for all my college roommates, or for stuff for mom...but now that it's just me, i just bring a ballpark concept. "hmm, some fresh fruit of whatever type looks best, some salad veggies, maybe some bread."
Old 04-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

4 serrano peppers would not even weigh 2/10 ths of a pound!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Over-ringing happened ALL THE TIME at K-mart. Watch out for them too !!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Angry

Watch out also for TJX-owned stores, such as Marshalls, Bob's Stores, TJ Max, Home Goods and AJ Wright!!

They had their computer system hacked by a criminal to get personal info from everyone who used credit and debit cards there to pay for stuff. This goes as far back as '02, according to the news!

I'll NEVER shop at ANY of those stores again!! My debit card was canceled and I was forced to wait over a month for a new one! I'm so done with them!! I was a loyal customer to TJ Max. Not any more!

Sounds like the stores you've all mentioned are into price gouging. Bait and switch. But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
Cook

I've got some retail experience. Honest mistakes happen all the time, especially on sale items; the temporary shelf price isn't always carried through the system correctly. The 'rack rate' may still be the scanned price. The more people involved in the chain, the more likely that an error creeps into the mix. Honest mistakes are a norm. Sadly, I've also personally witnessed these situations as scams deliberately implemented by management people; mostly as way to scam more and higher sales, knowing that most people will buy into the sale, then miss the actual charged price. There are also techniques for skimming, where, in the end, the manager is ripping off his own store. Multiply a single, thin dime by thousands of transactions.....
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid

Oh that was so true in my case when I worked at K-Mart
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid

Oh that was so true in my case when I worked at K-Mart

I hear ya! Not at all upset with you, but don't even get me started about slavery wages.

I worked there also and got slavery wages. I'm at a job now, that only pays slavery wages, and I want out of it!!

I was offered a choice for this coming summer; take a layoff or work. I chose the layoff so that I can find a better paying more respectable job. I'm not going back there in the fall.

I'm so sick of these co's that work the crap out of you, pay you slavery wages and on top of everything, they treat you like dirt!!! Where I'm employed, part-time workers aren't even allowed to take a short break!

It's no wonder they can't keep workers there, because they don't treat them right. They just walk all over them and dare them to say something!!

That's how K-mart is also. I ended up walking right out of there. The manager was a first-class jerk! He had us move ridiculously heavy pallets of stuff out in an area on the side of the store, then ten minutes later, he wanted us to move all those same heavy pallets of stuff back inside!! I told him that my back was really bothering me and I couldn't move the stuff back in. "Do it or leave!!", he yelled. I told him to take that slavery-wage job and stick it in his back pocket, and walked out. I'm about to do the same with THIS job. The manager there is also a jerk!! Acts like he OWNS people!