"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Angry Watch your prices at Walmart

I was so irritated tonight other than the awesome price i got on a micro. Anyways i got 4 serrano peppers. I usually don't even look at the price stuff is ringing up i just trust them (BIG MISTAKE). I watched her ring up the 4 serrano peppers and the price came to $8.72....I WAS LIKE OMG. I immediatly said something of course. I was like serranos at the price of saffron. Anyways he comes back and acts like he fixed it. As i am walking away i am looking at my receipt and i see they charged me for an entire pound of serranos not 4. I dought 4 of them weigh a pound. They would be world record size serranos then. I was so irritated. So then i have to go to customer service and wait in a huge line to get it refunded and the lady ask the manager of the floor supervisors to come over. She takes me to a still has a drawer in it (nice lady she was) and charges me what i was supposed to get charged for the peppers $.28. Can you believe that. Can you imagine how many people don't watch this stuff and get overcharged. I remember my dad gettting charged $4.00 for a head of garlic.

I guess im just trying to warm everyone to watch everything as its being scanned to make sure they are not ripping you off.

Ncage

Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm always very careful when I shop for anything. When I do my grocery shopping I carry a detailed list (I made on the computer.) and rarely stray from the list. I also carry a pocket calculator and enter each item I purchase (rounded off) so, when I get to the checkout, I know within a few cents what my total should be. I've caught quite a few "mistakes" at most all the stores I shop. Buck says I can make a penny bleed. I don't know about that, but I know I'm a very watchful shopper. I've always been this way. Came from shopping for a large family where I had to really, really make my dollars stretch.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
DC Grandma

Thanks for the idea Katie..They put a WalMart next to Costco so guess where I go just to get out of the house...LOL I will carry a calculator with me from now on.
marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Master Chef

When I lived in Cairo I was used to buying minced beef a kilo (2.2lbs) at a time so when I picked up a package of meat back in the states that stated it was 2 lbs i knew there was no way. Sure enough I took it back to the butcher who reweighed it and it was barely 1.5 pounds! So if your selections don't "feel" like the right weight they probably aren't.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Head Chef

Never carry a calculator and am afraid do not stick to a list.

But do carefully watch the check out process and if I am unable to carefully take the receipt and reviewit before I leave the store. We can usually remember everything we bought, particularly with the detailed receipts oone gets today.

Yes, but be very careful with peppers if you are buying them loose. The prices of different peppers in our local stores often varies significantly. And usually the checkers cannot tell a jalapeno from habanero or serrano, or almost any other pepper. So always remember the price per lb of the peppers I am purchasing and make sure that is the price I am paying.

And when that look comes over the cashier's eye that indicates he has no idea what the pepper is I chime iin.

Just my take on things.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I'm a numbers' person. I keep a calculator within sight at all times. I also keep a mental calculation going when shopping and know if the talley at the cash register is close to correct.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I usually carry a list, but rarely carry a calculator. However, I almost always go through the self-checkout line. That way, I know EXACTLY what gets rang up, and how much it costs vs. how much it's supposed to cost.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I guess the reason I carry a calculator so much is because my last job required one. I abandoned my watch immediately when I retired, but still use a calculator daily for various things.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Executive Chef

If it's a long list, sometimes I make slash marks for each $, rounded a little up or down. It doesn't give me an exact amount but it's close enough to let me know if the checker has made a mistake or they haven't changed the price in the register. I can't begin to count how many times I've challenged a price and I'm usually right.

I don't like it when they start checking out my food before the cart is unloaded. I like to watch the prices that come up on the register.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I always carry a calculator with me for safety reasons also, There`s Strength in Numbers!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote