WCBS.TV: First Class Glass: Bottle Of Water $55 In N.Y.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No kidding Katie! Water is water, the taste doesn't change. Did you hear that a city banned bottled water?! Amen to that...we are creating more garbage by using the plastic bottles and if you listen to the little movie that was on the right hand side, we spent BILLIONS of dollars on it. I didn't think it was very hard to turn on the faucet.:ermm:

Okay, I want to make sure we pair the water with the right foods, but it leaves me with a dilemma. Our dog eats Pedigree, which has both beef and chicken. So should he drink out of the master bathroom toilet, the guest bathroom toilet, or divide his water drinking between them? :LOL:

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
Okay, I want to make sure we pair the water with the right foods, but it leaves me with a dilemma. Our dog eats Pedigree, which has both beef and chicken. So should he drink out of the master bathroom toilet, the guest bathroom toilet, or divide his water drinking between them? :LOL:

Omigosh, Barbara. You have quite a gourmet dilemma. I think I just hurt myself laughing. Right on!!

I am disappointed by the lack of respect that water pairing has been given in this thread. I would appreciate some assistance in selecting the best pairing for my pig foot soup.

I can concede that different brands of water have different tastes. For example, Dasani tastes slightly metallic to me, and Nestle brand water tastes sort of musty. I prefer tap water for drinking myself, but I can respect those who prefer bottles water. However, the most I could EVER imagine paying for drinking water is like $3.

There are other applications where I could understand paying top dollar for water though. I know that some very high-end sushi restaurants cook their rice in bottled water to keep the flavor of the rice as pure as possible.

$55 for one bottle though? I'm sorry, but the people who sell that are thieves.

skilletlicker said:
I am disappointed by the lack of respect that water pairing has been given in this thread. I would appreciate some assistance in selecting the best pairing for my pig foot soup.
If you are using a Poland China Hog (below) for your pig foot soup, I would recommend Poland Springs water!

As far as the flavor of water, I think there is a big difference also. I would never pay anywhere near as much as the water in the article though! Speaking of Poland Springs water, that is probably my favorite. I like spring water. I like Dasani too. I like some store brand spring waters. Poland Springs, though, is my favorite.

Attachments

• polandchinahogye8.jpg
    polandchinahogye8.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 202
college_cook said:
I prefer tap water for drinking myself
This really depends on where you live. Tap water is not the same everywhere. Some of it is truly nasty. I have heard that New York City tap water beats bottled waters in taste tests. So there is good and bad when it comes to tap water as well as with bottled water.

college_cook said:
I prefer tap water for drinking myself, but I can respect those who prefer bottles water. However, the most I could EVER imagine paying for drinking water is like $3.
$3.00 per what? 12 oz. bottle? That works out to about $32.00 per gallon.
On the other hand municipal water in the US, on average, costs 66 cents per cubic meter or about one-fourth of a penny per gallon.

$32 per gallon vrs. 1/4 cent per gallon. Hmm.

When I was a young man there were phrases you never hear any more; "Conspicuous consumption," "keeping up with the Joneses" etc. These were always used to describe character flaws such as pretentsion or even snobbery. I don't know exactly when our cultural values made thriftiness obsolete but it clearly is.

Last edited:
hear, hear, skill.

i guess that happened a generation ago, when both parents started going to work, so they could afford a more affluent life. greed begets greed.
then, the double barrel of this was leaving the kids alone to be influenced by tv, rather than their parents. tv is nothing but a sales pitch, so that's what kids have been raised on.

barbel, new york city tap water has gone downhill since they tested it way back in the late 80's, when the bottled water rage started. it tested last of several major cities last year. actually, los angeles was supposed to be the best: The big gulp - Los Angeles Times

our tap water in north jersey tastes like it came straight from a pool, with so much chlorine. so i go to the store every coupla weeks and pick up 10 boxes containing 3 gallons each of spring water from wells in central pennsylvania. we pay about 73 cents a gallon. and an added benefit is if there's ever an emergency, we always have several or more gallons of clean water on hand.

last week, when my family and i went for lunch in a nice italian place in the city, we were offered $8 italian sparkling water. my wife and i looked at each other, then at our little devil, and ordered tap water. it was going to end up everywhere, anyway. :)

if we can do this all the time for wine, why not do the same thing for expensive bottles of water???

kleenex said:
if we can do this all the time for wine, why not do the same thing for expensive bottles of water???
Not only can you, but you already have.
That there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Back
Top Bottom