We all need names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
BT tagged me with Chief Longwind of the North, and I adopted it as my online name. After all, I do have a good bit of Native American blood in me, as well as Doiche, French, Scottish, Irish, and probably something from one of the outer planets as well.

Anyway, P.A.G. told my co-workers about the name, and gave two of them names of their own. - The Noisy One, and Little Big Mouth. So now, it's my turn to share.

P.A.G.'s co-workers at her new job discovered she had Native American blood in her, and insisted that as she has no "official" native name, they would giver her one. It's a beauty. She shall heretofore be known in various circles as;

Walks with Nerds.

It fits her so very well.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

BT tagged me with Chief Longwind of the North, and I adopted it as my online name.
I seem to recollect a different online name you used. :)

How does traditional Native American naming work, and how much variation is there between different tribes? I'm referring to the past. Many if not most have probably adopted modern (Western/European) naming conventions. My understanding--perhaps wrong--is that traditional Native American names almost always mean something, vs. our Western/European names which may have had some basis of meaning something in the distant past but are little more than arbitrary in the present day. (Names like John, Mary, Alice, etc. don't mean much to me. I've heard my own name comes from the word 'gregarious' but it still has little present day meaning. OTOH you have names like Charity, Prudence, Ernest etc. which do have present day meaning.)

Well I had better quit typing since I have no ambition to challenge Longwind at what he does well. :)

My father being a half breed Pasamaquoddy was called Chief. And what is the daughter of a Chief? Princess Running Nose. Thanks Dad. :rolleyes:

My mom's NA name is "She who wears her headband backwards." What does that make my NA to be? Daughter of she who wears her headband backwards? ??

My Grandmother looked native and I look like my Grandmother. She and I were both born in Saskatchewan but I moved to BC at 7 and went back for grade 12 and University. I was asked what my heritage was and I said American, English, Irish and Bella Coola (from BC). No one caught on that it didn't fit and I have a lot of fun with it.

So I guess my name would be "She Who Pretends To Be". :angel:

No Native American blood in my family that I can find. All my family on my father's side came directly from Ireland and those on my mother's side from Austria/Croatia, but I could come with something if pressed.

Okay, I've been pressed. According to my husband my name should be She Who Obsesses with Organization. My late husband, Buck, said the same thing. Guess that's what my name HAS to be.:ohmy::wacko:

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
BT tagged me with Chief Longwind of the North, and I adopted it as my online name. After all, I do have a good bit of Native American blood in me, as well as Doiche, French, Scottish, Irish, and probably something from one of the outer planets as well.

Anyway, P.A.G. told my co-workers about the name, and gave two of them names of their own. - The Noisy One, and Little Big Mouth. So now, it's my turn to share.

P.A.G.'s co-workers at her new job discovered she had Native American blood in her, and insisted that as she has no "official" native name, they would giver her one. It's a beauty. She shall heretofore be known in various circles as;

Walks with Nerds.

It fits her so very well.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually, they named me Dances with Nerds.

Back
Top Bottom