We Are Under Attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But there are some advantages to getting to the old age status, and the best is that we are still here.

But there are others.

Heck, no one expects me to tote really heavy stuff anymore. Had to lift fifty pould bags from a few stores this winter, but most of the time some young guy tossed them into the trunk.

And when salespeople, folks who repair stuff in our house, and many other people I deal with, no longer look at me like I am stupid when I have to ask for a clarification of something. I just tell them I don't hear all that well (which I really don't) and will get as many patient slow responses as I need to understand the issue. And they will simplify the argot, making it as simple and short as they can.

Go into buy a car and we are treated differently than we were during our younger days. We can always do the old crotchety old person ~ kindly old person routine (good cop ~ bad cop act) and they never suspect a thing. We have found that sometimes it is better if the XY person is the nasty old fogey, and sometime it should be the double X member of the firm.

Ask for directions and people feel kindly about you and pause to give them to you, more than they did when we were younger (the disadvantage is sometimes the folks don't know squat about the area but will set you on some ridiculous path anyway. But heck, they did that when we were young, they just treat us more kindly now.) Gotta get a GPS system one of these days.

And there are many more advantages to getting old, but I will not go on.

Perhaps the major advantage we have over the young ones is that we know what they are thinking, we've been there and done that, and they have no idea how our aging minds work.

I liken the difference to playing poker with folks whose cards you can see but to whom your hand is a mystery.

As a child I was careening into adulthood, and welcomed it. Now I am careening into addlehood, and fear it.

Getting older ain't great, but like they say, it is better than the alternative.

Take care and God bless.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. :LOL:

Hey everybody, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying these post.:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
When I was growing up they use to get a switch off of a weeping willow. Boy, I didn't know I could run so fast. They never did catch me.:-p

My "switches" came from hedge...I think it is called Privet Hedge...makes a very keen little switch. I tried one on my oldest boy once when was small. It left red marks all over his legs:shock: Never used one again. It was truly a "hurt me more than it did him" situation.:(

I knew something was up! Well I for one plan to attack them right back! Those young whipper snappers! think they can get away with this stuff!
Anyone care to join me?

RMS said:
I knew something was up! Well I for one plan to attack them right back! Those young whipper snappers! think they can get away with this stuff!
Anyone care to join me?

Can I bring my bow? Oh, wait, I had to give it to my eldest son as somebody made the tension stronger and I can't pull the string as well as I once could. I'll carry the flag instead, as long as it's made of very thin and light silk, and the handle is as light as my graphite fishing pole.:ROFLMAO:

Uncle bob, I have to laugh again about the telephone book and the text size. I happened to look up a number today, without my reading glasses, but with my arms extended as far as could be, I got the number correct, but I laughed when I recalled you saying about trying to remember the last four numbers. I found myself repeating the numbers until such time as I dialed it :LOL: That cracked me up.

amber said:
Uncle bob, I have to laugh again about the telephone book and the text size. I happened to look up a number today, without my reading glasses, but with my arms extended as far as could be, I got the number correct, but I laughed when I recalled you saying about trying to remember the last four numbers. I found myself repeating the numbers until such time as I dialed it :LOL: That cracked me up.

:LOL: I do relate..I do, I do. Sometimes I do not find it amusing however, rather rattling of a line of expletives that would not be considered proper in polite conversation.:ermm: We do have to laugh at ourselves it seems..to keep from crying!:)

Miss Dove..

So kind of you to accept my peace offerings. I was not looking forward to a thrashing:LOL: So the party is on. I'll bring wine, and short ribs. You the "shine" corn and slaw. We gotta find a musician of sorts. I feel some of the guest would enjoy a good ole fashion barn dance. Maybe we will have volunteers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom