We layed my cat down last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
To all of you who gave me such kind words while my cat was sick - I wanted to tell you that we had him layed down last night at 5:30 pm. He was on three doses of morphine a day - was wetting his blanket every night for a week. The tumor (what the vet believed to be cancer) in his mouth had grown and his abdomen was startting to swell (possibly more cancer). We moved him from the laundry room at night to the patio window (his favorite spot) during the day. I held him in my lap before bedtime. His quality of life was gone - he lived a long life - over 18 years. Thanks friends, for helping me through this.

I know what you went through. We had a similar experience with one of our furry family members many years ago. Bless you. You loved him in life and loved him in death. I'm sure he is still loving you from heaven. Big hugs to you and your family.

Sadly that is one of responsibilities a pet owner has.

Have watched a cat being put to sleep and for those who have not I can assure you there is no pain involved for the animal, just the human.

Have seen too many folks who do not treat their pet properly. Am glad there are so many great pet owners on this forum.

Am sorry for your loss.

Michele, you have my condolences. I know how difficult it is. I lost my beloved Maggie dog about 5 years ago, and I really miss her. No dog ever had a bigger heart, all though my little Chloe does her best.

Here's a little story that may make you smile.
Some years ago, one of my favorite customers...a widow in her 70's who still had her joy de vivre (lots of money helps), came in my greenhouse with tears in her eyes...not like Izzie at all. I put my hand on her shoulder, and gently asked what was the matter. Blinking back the tears, she told me she'd just had her cat...a companion of 22 years...put to sleep.
I told her how sorry I was, and gave her a little hug. And then Izzie suddenly snapped out of it, pulled herself together, and said defiantly, "Well, it was him or me!"

I'm so sorry, MM. It's so sad to lose a beloved companion who's been a part of your family for so many years.

BC

Michelemarie - my very deepest feelings go out to you, especially since I'm going thru the same thing right now.

Out of my 4 dogs, 5 cats (down from 10), & 7 horses, 4 of the horses & one dog isn't in their teens - everyone else is pretty much "up their in age". I've been losing 1-2 cats per year, & am currently in the position of probably having to put down yet another one of the cats next week. I've been putting it off, shamefully, because the idea is sucking the life out of me, even tho I know it's for the best & the kindest thing to do.

Again - you did the right thing, even tho that's not always the easy thing to do.

Michelemarie,
{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} I know how you're feeling and just remember, Theo knew you were loving him by easing his pain. He can now lay in the sun and mouse and run and play with no pain.
kadesma

Thank you all for your caring thoughts. Constance, that is a cute story, you are right, it did make me smile. Breezycooking, it was so hard for me to get to this point - my thoughts are with you.

My heart goes out to you. I know how you are feeling. We lost two kitties this year. One died on her own in the Spring, and we put Sally down in late October after a brief but dibilitating illness. That was such a difficult day. So many tears. Our little furry family members hold a special place in our hearts. They give us so much. It seems unfair that time here is so brief.

You did the right thing. You loved him and allowed him to experience peace. That's a huge gift to him. Take care.

Sorry to hear that Michele, they are like family members. At least your cat lived a very long life though.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how difficult that was for you to watch the poor thing suffer and then to make the decision to end his suffering. You did the right thing. I dread the day I loose my beloved Trinket........she's more than a cat she's like one of my kids.

Treasure the memories! Your kitty was lucky to have had a wonderful home and you to love her so much.

Michele I'm so very sorry. But thanks to you he had a very long happy life. Treasure that. I know exactly how you feel. Disney's been gone almost 4 months but it still feels like it was yesterday. If you need to talk I'm here for you.

MicheleMarie - You are so brave and so loved. Cry til you're cried out. Don't let anyone tell you how to mourn. :(

Hugs to you Michellemarie - you know that cat is sitting at the biggest window there is looking at the biggest flock of bird's he's EVER seen!!!!! :)

Thank you everyone. Today is a little more tough, I think I just miss him. I know he is feeling SO much better though, so I keep reminding myself of that. Thank you for your support, you are all so kind.

(((Michelle)))My heart goes out to you.Even though you know you did the right thing to end the suffering- the loss is still painful.Love and energy, VIcki

Back
Top Bottom