"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

I do not disagree with that at all Katie. I think it is crazy to spend money you do not have on a 5k dress or whatever. It is just that some of the comments in this thread do not seem to be about that, but more about wanting to spend a lot or even spending a lot regardless of ability to pay for it. Warts comment about the pathology of wanting an expensive wedding for instance.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I understand, GB. I guess it comes from my frugality. Well, being cheap as Buck says. He says I can make a penny cry. I've always been that way in spite of growing up in a totally different way. My birth mother spent money like water and often. I never adopted that mindset.

I loved our wedding and many years later, I'm happy to say folks who were there still comment on how much fun they had at it. Guess we achieved our goal of "putting on a good party."

Two of my favorite memories are that my little daughter was one of the attendants and was soooo excited about being able to wear her first pair of "big girl shoes." Then my youngest son proudly announced to anyone who would listen, "I'm going to wear a "duckseedo" in my mom's wedding." Priceless.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

And I think they way you did it is great Katie. There is nothing wrong with throwing a wedding for short money. It can be as magical or even better than a wedding that cost a million dollars. Of course the opposite can be true as well.

We had over 250 guests at our wedding. Just feeding that many people is going to necessitate a certain dollar amount. We obviously would not be able to do that for $50. My wife and I did not know every single person there, but the day was not just about us. It was about our friends and family too. My parents had friends there that I had no idea who they were. It meant a lot to my parents they they were there though. My in laws had family there that we had never met before. It meant everything to my in laws to have them there though. We did know the majority of the people there though and every single person there were there because we wanted them to share in our special day. There is no way we could have done that for $50 or $75 or whatever.

I guess my point is that there is nothing wrong with spending as much as you want on a wedding if you want to.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #34
Head Chef

Speaking as someone who had a lovely, fancy big wedding and also someone who had a $200 wedding in her living room, let me say this. I LOVED my fancy wedding, I loved having the big bash, the beautiful gown, seeing my new hubby in a tux, all my friends and family being together for a big party. But looking back on it now, it was a lot of planning, stress and money. I don't think there is anything wrong with a big wedding. I'm the kind of girl who loves a good wedding. I didn't want to ever go through the planning, stress or the money to have a second fancy wedding, so when I married Mr Toots, we got hitched as quickly and easily as possible.
I think age has a component to this. I was 26 the first time around and 38 when I got married the second time. I think when you are younger or if you've never been married before, the wedding is more of a big deal, especially for the woman. I wanted to wear that big fancy gown and I sure did wear a tiara. I have beautiful memories from both weddings, so in the end I think it really should only matter to the bride and groom.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

DW and I have talked about it often and have both agreed that if we were ever to do it again for whatever reason we would do it with just our closest family and friends. Probably on a beach somewhere in bathing suits. The way I see it, as long as the parties involved are happy then who cares what it cost be it a lot or a little.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Absolutely GB. The wedding should be what the bride and groom want and can afford. After all, they're the ones getting married. Money means different things to different people but clearly most people have very strong feelings about it hence the strong opinions about wedding costs. But I don't think anyone would begrudge you the obvious pleasure you and your bride got out of your big wedding. It sounds like it's something ya'll get a kick out of to this day!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #37
Head Chef

Well said Fisher's Mom.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Well said Fisher's Mom.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #39
Master Chef

To borrow from that credit card commercial:

Wedding clothes: $150
Chruch, flowers, reception: $250
Divorce and Child Support: endless!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
To borrow from that credit card commercial:

Wedding clothes: $150
Chruch, flowers, reception: $250
Divorce and Child Support: endless!

Yep. Been there. Done that. Got it right the second time.