Wedding dress shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
I feel like I only come here now when I want something :ROFLMAO:

I'm considering travelling to New York in early 2008 to buy my wedding dress. There are a few reasons for this, one it's an excuse to go shopping in New York. Two, with the pound being worth $2 US I should get more for my money, and three well, it will be an experience! Also, the make up and stuff I tend to use is American, and will be cheaper as well.
What do you guys all think? What is the loose average cost of a dress in the states? The websites I've looked at are a bit shy about publishing their prices on line!

And does anyone want to come with me?????

I got married in 1983 so I have little point of reference. I also opted to wear my mother's dress, so I have even less to say...

But..my girlfriend got married a year before I did. I noticed something interesting when she was shopping for her dress. First, she and I went to a few places, two young women, 19 years old. The sales lady brought out dresses in the 3-4 hundred dollar range. All lovely dresses. The next day, my girlfriend went shopping with her mother, same store, different sales lady. This lady brought out 2 thousand dollar dresses. I think they 'sell' to the person they think is footing the bill. Two girls = inexpensive dress, girl and mother = anything goes.

Whenever you do go, whereever you do go, give them your budget number before they start parading dresses in front of you.

Congratulations, too!

Thank you! My mum got married in the sixties in a velvet minidress, in size 8...... if I don't eat for the next 18 months, I still don't think I'd fit into it!

I'll definitely put my cards on the table before I start. Everything is on a budget!

It's me, party-pooping yet again. Sorry Kyles, but weddings are a big theme in my life!

I have a feeling you know this in your heart of hearts, but let's get it out in the open, huh? You will hardly be saving money overall by jetting off to New York, even if the Estee Lauder is slightly cheaper and the USD rate is favorable right now :rolleyes:! As for dresses, there are cheap ones and there are pricey ones, surely that's the same in the U.K., isn't it?

Do you do dress rentals in the U.K.? Not an idea that's ever appealed to me (like Vera, I wore my mum's) but you must admit it's sensible from several angles, not the least of which would be monetary.

One thing may strike you after your wedding, or certainly so if you're like me: that it was "much ado about nothing" -- months and months of preparation and much money for a couple of hours that will fly by with you being barely conscious of much of it. Consider bearing that in mind as you make your plans?

Go to New York by all means -- wonderful city. But do so after your wedding with your new husband in hand!

Last edited:
Have you been wedidng dress shopping in England?

There are some real issues with choice and being of the *ahem* fuller figure.

Also because many of the dresses are imported from the US we're paying a lot more than we would for the dress if it was in the US, much more than the costs of flights and accomodation, hard to believe, but true.

My hubby to be has been to New York, and no desire to go again, although he loved it.

I'm 34 years old, and this is the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me, so if I want to go to New York, and experience a whirlwind of shopping, and fun in a new city, then I will do.

So whilst I appreciate the sentiment, I am not intending to hire a dress for my day.

Oh and for the record, flights and acocmmodation in new York at present is coming in at £420 for 5 nights. A dress in UK costs £1500 or so. My benefit make up is 50% cheaper in the US, not just a few pounds. So if it does come back to money, then overall it probably is cheaper - or more to the point better value, for me.

Kyles, dresses, cakes, whatever -- go for it and have a blast doing so. Just putting in my two cents' worth as requested!

Kyles, I sold wedding dressed both in Oklahoma and New York for 5 years. The prices very on what your looking for. For example an Alfred Angelo, Mori Lee, ect dress will run you around $800. For a Amsale or Christos dress it will run you anywhere from $2500-$5000. A Reem Acra, Ulla Maija, Elizabeth Fillmore, will run you around $4500-$8000

In New York, Kleinfeld's has the best selection of dresses with many price ranges. I suggest making an appointment with them if you come (all places require appointments and if you are wanting a Saturday you will need to make one at least a month in advance). I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue. They have a large selection of dresses. Their prices begin around $2500 and go up from there. I would say the average dress there is about $4000. You can get a 10% discount if you open up an account.

I would suggest going to Weddings and wedding planning! Wedding dresses, engagement rings, wedding cakes and more. you can look at all the designers there with pictures of the dresses.

If you need any more help send me an im and I can give you more detailed information if you are wanting it. Remember you should buy your dress early since they are all custom ordered. Depending on the selection they have in stock I would say 6 months is a good estimate.

Kyles, I don't know about NYC, or what style of dress you want, or your price range, but I've sewn a few wedding dresses--for myself and friends--and I suggest you look at your current wardrobe and figure out what you think looks most flattering on your figure and your skin color.

Some fuller figures look best in a high-waisted dress. Sometimes long flared "trumpet" sleeves are most flattering. Do you want an A-line skirt, a straight skirt? What kind of neckline?

Then look at all the various shades of white. Real, flat white kills the color in many people's faces. Ivory has a slight yellow tinge. Bone has a slight pinkish tinge (at least in my palette). There are others. Try on blouses or scarves to figure out what looks best next to your face.

If you are going to a NYC wedding dress emporium like Kleinfield's, they will have -lots- of dresses available. It will be easier to make a choice if you have some parameters picked out.

Good luck!

My niece is getting married and found a Valentino dress that had only been worn once on the runway, on Ebay.

it's a $3000 Valentino dress worn by model on runway - i got it on ebay for $140

That's just another option for you.

David's Bridal | Special Offers - This company does give prices in their online catalog...and they have sales.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom