"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Honey Badger
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Give cash, no hassle. And they would be happy with that.
Couple of recent weddings I've attended had, on the gift table, a large box with a slit at the top just for envelopes.
I noticed more than half of the gifts went into those boxes.
That's a great idea along with gift certificates.
We received checks to.It was awkward for me writing had written thank you notes back.I felt obligated to explain what we did with the money.

My thank you note said simply."Thank you.It was much appreciated we've banked into the saving account.For our hopefully someday welcomed son or daughter."

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Master Chef
The last thank you note I received stated the extra cash came in handy during the honeymoon.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Honey Badger
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The last thank you note I received stated the extra cash came in handy during the honeymoon.
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Master Chef
I'd vote for that big beautiful serving platter too. Not many people would think of that, and I'd get something that could be an heirloom like your Mothers is.

My big beautiful old one from my Mother has already been passed on to my oldest son as I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle when I finally croak.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef
CASH! or check will work just fine and no one has to return, hide or show anything.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Each time one of my children got married, I went through my recipe file and cookbooks and handwrote recipes that were favorites growing up of that particular child. I shopped for, and found, a beautiful blank recipe book and inserted the recipe cards in the plastic sleeves of the book's pages. There were plenty of surplus spaces for the couple to add their own recipes.

I wrote a note explaining the book so the new family member would understand the significance of the recipes.

Edited to add: This was no simple task because each "book" included no fewer than 100 recipes in nearly every category, along with recipes that have been in the family for generations.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
@Addie..Well you sweet thing! I wish someone had been so thoughtful as to buy us sheets when we got married.It's now been 25 years..
Lil' late now.
I'll keep that in mind.I do know that they are particular about the thread count.I could find out what color the master bedroom is.

This is for our adopted son's wedding.We love him so.
The running joke in our house is we say "He's our GOOD son" He's a sweetheart, so is his bride to be.

Home decor crossed my mind.Not sure if the bride would appreciate my tastes.It's her home.Her castle.Last thing I'd want to do is impose my tacky tastes on her.I've lived and been down that road.LOL!!!

They do love having large family get together's.Maybe a large serving platter? I don't think she has one.Mine was handed down to me by my mother.It's been retired.It's just for show now,because of it's age.I'd say it's close to 60 years old.Hand made, painted in Italy.Mom got it soon after she was married.
However good your taste I think ornaments are a very dangerous path to take for wedding gifts.

What about a gift voucher for an expensive store you know they like. That way the gift won't be frittered away on the groceries or the electricity bill as it might be if you give cash.

Or why not ask them if there's something very special they'd like that they didn't put on the list.
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Master Chef
CASH, in a plain white envelope with no drippy card!

A framed wedding invitation, preferably the one from their wedding!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Master Chef
If you know of a fancy, expensive restaurant in town that they would enjoy but not spend the money on, a certificate to that place. I tend to do that. I've also done gift certificates for places where the honeymoon will be (if I know where they are going). Give them an "experience" to do together. Tickets to a show or concert. A book of movie passes or museum passes.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
I know that cash is an easy choice, but for a wedding - especially when one of your children is getting married - it's a very impersonal gift. Ten, 20, 30 years later, they won't remember who gave them how much cash. But they will remember a thoughtful gift, especially one they will use or see often. YMMV, of course

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote