Wedding Gift Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that cash is an easy choice, but for a wedding - especially when one of your children is getting married - it's a very impersonal gift.

That depends. When my thirty something yr old step-daughter got married we gave her a sizeable cash gift to help pay for the wedding. We did not pay for the wedding like some parents do that stick to tradition.

Last edited:
That depends. When my thirty something yr old step-daughter got married we gave her a sizeable cash gift to help pay for the wedding. We did not pay for the wedding like some parents do that stick to tradition.

Yes, it does depend on circumstances. In your case, that *was* a thoughtful gift.

However good your taste I think ornaments are a very dangerous path to take for wedding gifts.

What about a gift voucher for an expensive store you know they like. That way the gift won't be frittered away on the groceries or the electricity bill as it might be if you give cash.

Or why not ask them if there's something very special they'd like that they didn't put on the list.

:LOL: Dangerous path?

Seriously what are they going to do.Beat me up?

Last edited:
:LOL: Dangerous path?

Seriously what are they going to do.Beat me up?
I mean "dangerous" from the "your taste v their taste" point of view. You wouldn't want it to be "That awful vase that Munky bought us" in decades to come or if it was something on trend, for it to be discarded when the fashions change.

Just a thought.

I mean "dangerous" from the "your taste v their taste" point of view. You wouldn't want it to be "That awful vase that Munky bought us" in decades to come or if it was something on trend, for it to be discarded when the fashions change.

Just a thought.

I think if you know people well, it's not hard to know what their taste is and get something that goes with what they already have.

Our daughter and son-in-law were married in May. They each had their own apartments (furnished, with help, at least our daughter's was) so needed very little, not to mention, combining two apartments into one isn't easy.

They registered for a few items but what they really were happy to receive was cash as they'd like to buy a home sometime next year.

Don't over think it, cash is a great gift for today's modern couple. They received several gifts from well intentioned thoughtful people that they have no use for (as in a multitude of picture frames) but turned around and donated them to a thrift store.

Offering a gift a cash no longer means you didn't bother to take the time to shop, it means you want them to have the option of choosing what they want.

We gave a certificate to a fairly local bed and breakfast to a close friend (2nd marriage for both) and they liked it so much they went back several times.

Another idea is a special Christmas or other holiday ornament or decoration.

Maybe a Willow Tree ornament.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I was also thinking of something enduring that would commemorate the day. A house plaque with "House of ______ begun this day July 4, 2014."

Without knowing much about them, here are a few things I've given that people seemed to like:

• A picnic backpack for the romantic couple that like the outdoors. They come in a huge range of options and also have some that are geared for special interests - like wine options, etc.
  • I'm not artistic, but a platter or something from somewhere like Amazing Glaze has gone over well. Thumbprints from all family members with their names and a cute message to the couple. It could be on a platter or serving bowl or whatever.
  • Special ornaments, as some have mentioned.
  • Matching bowls. I love the personalization mall. I once got my parents a bowl set that were personalized with "That Woman" and "Her Man" as my aunt once described my parents that way to her medical provider after my parents cared for her for YEARS. My mother's biscuits were burned so I could not resist. :LOL: personalizationmall.com

All can have a check attached. ;)

~Kathleen

We did ask the groom what they wanted or needed.He referred us to the Mrs.to be.

It was a huge expensive wedding.Not like my own was.We figured if we can't pay for it on our own it's unnecessary.Trust me it wasn't even missed.

We wrote them a sizeable check.*cough*

Bought them a beautiful stoneware dinner set with matching serving trays.

Oldest son was a groom.Designated river.Good sport
Youngest was the second photographer.Good sport

The personal topper from me was something she hadn't thought of.But I did.It was used front and center during the ceremony.

A Silver wedding candle holder that holds 1 pillar and 2 tapers.

She can display her wedding candles with pics in style.When it's time to tuck it away I know she will keep it for her kids wedding someday.Both sides of parents were involved in the lighting of the tapers.A few people came up to me afterwards to tell me how pretty that holder was.It's just what the ceremony needed.

I didn't have the time to ask them if it was ok to show their pic.
I'll just put a small one in of them lighting the candles.

Sounds as though all choices were perfect, especially the candle holder. The picture is lovely. Bet the wedding was wonderful. The bride is beautiful, as she should be.

Your son, at least the back of him, is handsome. Was he military or did he play sports? He looks very solid and athletic and his haircut appears very "sharp."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom