Wedding Gift Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I've run out of ideas.The wedding is just a few weeks away and I haven't figured out what to get them.

They have practically everything for the kitchen.Including the cool toys.My doing! :) House is already furnished.Now that's where I'm stuck.
Towels idea is nixed..Not an option.Everybody gets those.We don't want to go down the generic road.

This is going to one huge wedding 500+ people.The caterer's are going to have a long day.With the 500+, I've looked the the registry.It's looking like they might possibly be receiving duplicates.

S.0.S.time.

Munky.

Chef, I once gave a couple two sets of sheets with roses on them. On the card I wrote, "May your marriage always be built on a bed of roses." Judy in her thank you note told me that was the best present they got with the most thoughtful message they had received.

And as you know, sheets are not inexpensive. :angel:

How about a nice piece of artwork? I bought a beautiful handmade raku vase from a local artist for my BIL and SIL when they got married. Something unique just for them :)

Unless this is someone you are really close to, I always give cash. I personally think that if the couple already has everything they need to start a new life, money is the only logical gift.
I remember when my late husband and I got married at age 19, we had nothing and each gift was something we really needed. It's a different world these days.

Give cash, no hassle. And they would be happy with that.
Couple of recent weddings I've attended had, on the gift table, a large box with a slit at the top just for envelopes.
I noticed more than half of the gifts went into those boxes.

Last edited:
@Addie..Well you sweet thing! I wish someone had been so thoughtful as to buy us sheets when we got married.It's now been 25 years..:ROFLMAO:
Lil' late now.:ermm:
I'll keep that in mind.I do know that they are particular about the thread count.I could find out what color the master bedroom is.

@Dawgy,
This is for our adopted son's wedding.We love him so.
The running joke in our house is we say "He's our GOOD son" He's a sweetheart, so is his bride to be.

@GG
Home decor crossed my mind.Not sure if the bride would appreciate my tastes.It's her home.Her castle.Last thing I'd want to do is impose my tacky tastes on her.I've lived and been down that road.LOL!!!

They do love having large family get together's.Maybe a large serving platter? I don't think she has one.Mine was handed down to me by my mother.It's been retired.It's just for show now,because of it's age.I'd say it's close to 60 years old.Hand made, painted in Italy.Mom got it soon after she was married.

@GG
Home decor crossed my mind.Not sure if the bride would appreciate my tastes.It's her home.Her castle.Last thing I'd want to do is impose my tacky tastes on her.I've lived and been down that road.LOL!!!

They do love having large family get together's.Maybe a large serving platter? I don't think she has one.Mine was handed down to me by my mother.It's been retired.It's just for show now,because of it's age.I'd say it's close to 60 years old.Hand made, painted in Italy.Mom got it soon after she was married.

I would never impose my taste on someone else, either, but I had been in their home and knew it would fit in. I think a large, special platter would be great. Something unique that will last a long time - like a marriage :)

Several years ago, we got a niece a big metal platter that was on her registry. I think it was from Williams-Sonoma, and you could use it to keep things cold or hot, and use it on the grill.

Lately I've just taken to giving cash or gift certs, unless the couple is registered.

Unless this is someone you are really close to, I always give cash. I personally think that if the couple already has everything they need to start a new life, money is the only logical gift.
I remember when my late husband and I got married at age 19, we had nothing and each gift was something we really needed. It's a different world these days.

When I got married we had already pretty much an established home.
Lived together in sin for years. It's true.Munky was bad.Dad said so!:LOL:

The best gift we received was a set of place mats,napkins,rings.You know that simple set for 4 was the best.They are now tucked away with my wedding dress.Let the kids go through my stuff after I'm gone,and learn just what Mom's priorities were at the time that still holds true today.

Give cash, no hassle. And they would be happy with that.
Couple of recent weddings I've attended had, on the gift table, a large box with a slit at the top just for envelopes.
I noticed more than half of the gifts went into those boxes.

That's a great idea along with gift certificates.
We received checks to.It was awkward for me writing had written thank you notes back.I felt obligated to explain what we did with the money.

My thank you note said simply."Thank you.It was much appreciated we've banked into the saving account.For our hopefully someday welcomed son or daughter."

I'd vote for that big beautiful serving platter too. Not many people would think of that, and I'd get something that could be an heirloom like your Mothers is.

My big beautiful old one from my Mother has already been passed on to my oldest son as I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle when I finally croak.

Each time one of my children got married, I went through my recipe file and cookbooks and handwrote recipes that were favorites growing up of that particular child. I shopped for, and found, a beautiful blank recipe book and inserted the recipe cards in the plastic sleeves of the book's pages. There were plenty of surplus spaces for the couple to add their own recipes.

I wrote a note explaining the book so the new family member would understand the significance of the recipes.

Edited to add: This was no simple task because each "book" included no fewer than 100 recipes in nearly every category, along with recipes that have been in the family for generations.

Last edited:
@Addie..Well you sweet thing! I wish someone had been so thoughtful as to buy us sheets when we got married.It's now been 25 years..:ROFLMAO:
Lil' late now.:ermm:
I'll keep that in mind.I do know that they are particular about the thread count.I could find out what color the master bedroom is.

@Dawgy,
This is for our adopted son's wedding.We love him so.
The running joke in our house is we say "He's our GOOD son" He's a sweetheart, so is his bride to be.

@GG

However good your taste I think ornaments are a very dangerous path to take for wedding gifts.

What about a gift voucher for an expensive store you know they like. That way the gift won't be frittered away on the groceries or the electricity bill as it might be if you give cash.

Or why not ask them if there's something very special they'd like that they didn't put on the list.

Last edited:
If you know of a fancy, expensive restaurant in town that they would enjoy but not spend the money on, a certificate to that place. I tend to do that. I've also done gift certificates for places where the honeymoon will be (if I know where they are going). Give them an "experience" to do together. Tickets to a show or concert. A book of movie passes or museum passes.

I know that cash is an easy choice, but for a wedding - especially when one of your children is getting married - it's a very impersonal gift. Ten, 20, 30 years later, they won't remember who gave them how much cash. But they will remember a thoughtful gift, especially one they will use or see often. YMMV, of course :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom