Wedding Keepsake Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jharris

Sous Chef
I have a question for the ladies here.

Friends of mine have just announced their engagement and I want to make them a special wedding gift.

I'd like to make a box for their wedding mementos.

I am clueless on the proper size and configuration.

What in the world would the bride put into the box?

How can I make this a special gift?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

What a wonderful gift idea !

What they put in their would be memories ... invitations, photos, newspaper articles, etc

Size and configuration .. that's customizable. Can be square, octagonal, rectangle like a book .. pretty much any shape.

Size should probably be at least 8x8 to accomodate photos and the invitation but a bit larger would be better - maybe close to 11 x 7 (standard sheet paper size)

You can make it from wood or even Corian is a nice product to use - you can usually get nice size "scrap" pieces from countertop makers.

You are a woodworker correct? You can go nuts with designs. If you use a C&C you can use the design from the wedding invitation.

Hope this helps you a little and can't wait to see what you come up with !

Last edited:
Great idea. We have one but it's one I bought before Glenn and I got married.

It's rather large, about the size of a hatbox but it's filling up rather quickly considering that we've only been married a little over 3 years.

There are ticket stubs from movies and other events we've attended, along with programs from the same functions. The ring box that my engagement ring came in. Pressed flowers that Glenn picked for me from the woods on our land, all the "love" cards he's given me, and more treasures I don't recall without looking in the box.

We have a separate photo album that holds all our wedding pictures, with room to add other photos of special occasions and/or family, but that's not in the box. It would take up too much room.

I have the box in a special place in our bed room and it always gives me a bit of a "rush" to look at it, knowing what sweet treasures are within.

I'm sure your friends will appreciate your thoughtful gesture.

Last edited:
Love it! If I'd gotten such a box, I sure would treasure it. Intarsia would be nice, or some other inlay. Or even some woodburning.

Looking forward to seeing the end project!

Last edited:
This sounds like a great gift idea. They are sure to treasure a hand crafted one of a kind gift.

As to size, there are endless possibilities. None are right or wrong. If they B&G really like the idea of storing mementos, the box will probably be too small no matter what size you make it. The one thing I would suggest is to make it fairly deep. Not all mementos are flat.

Oh I do need a vacation. When I first looked at the title, I was thinking the size of a piece of cake. How can you make a box out of a piece of cake? Pay no attention to me folks. I am an old lady in the throes of losing it. :angel:

this is a great idea.

interesting that you only want ladies' opinions, like a guy isn't part of it... ermmm

although incorporating a dress would be too much, you'd need to consider what goes in it.

the little folks from the top of the cake will spend tbeir eternity in there, in sort of a symbolic gesture. lol. just kidding. but they're sometimg to add.

a piece of table decorations, invitations, pictures, a bow tie, tie clasp, or cumerbund, maybe a cigar, a champagne glass. the bridal veil. the bride's shoes (god knows she ain't fittin' them no more, same as the cumerbund)

a copy, signed in blood, of the marriage certificate.

ok, i'm kidding.

i would make this more of a small treasure chest. plain but well finished on the outside. really beautiful on the inside. if you can do it, abalone or pearl shell lining.

with a lock that of which only the two share keys.

and god.

and their lawyers..

lol, sorry. i couldn't help that last bit.

Last edited:
the more i think about it, since wood is you're thing :)angel:), maybe a nice, highly polished birdseye maple finish on the inside. everything dovetailed, of course. no screws.

leave that to the wife's lawyers...

ok, sorry... lol.

buckytom, I absolutely adore you. I do get your humor and it always puts a smile on my face or a belly laugh in my tummy.

For the lining, make sure you don't do a silk padding. It will look more like a coffin. (Quiet BT. I heard that one. ) :angel:

rofl, addie. the adoration is multiplied in return.

you outdid me in one swift thought.

Last edited:
rofl, addie. the adoration is multiplied in return.

you outdid me in one swift thought.

BT, I wish you were one of my next door neighbors. My life would be filled with joy and laughter. It is those 'one liners' that get me everytime. :angel:

as i would do the, er, feel the, er,

hell, i can't keep up this shakespearea-like crap.

love you too, addie. wish you were here.

at any rate, you might want to burn in a neat quote into the inside of the lid.

something like:

true love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. it is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart.

balzac

you have PMs?

i haven't gotten mine yet.

what? i had the best ideas!

you do know what dovetails and birdseye maple are, dontcha?

Back
Top Bottom