Wedding reception decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive reception decorations. Table center pieces, wall decorations etc. ? There is not much of a budget so I'm trying to see if there are thngs I can maybe make cheaper then renting or buying stuff. I was hoping DD would wait a little longer, but date is set and dress is ordered, so I guess there is no more hoping. Any help would be great.

You can buy big bunches of flowers at Trader Joes/Costco/Sam's and make your own centerpieces. Buy vases at a glasswarehouse and fill the base of the vase (mason jars will work/but I think Mason jars are better for an outdoor/summer wedding) colored glass pebbles to match your color scheme. You can get the glass pebbles at a craft store. You can also scatter some of these pebbles on the tables.

My sister put a mirror in the center of the table with her flower arrangement on top of it so you would have the reflection of the flowers and colors then she took this idea of scattering cut crystals on the mirror and let them spill over onto part of the table. These crystals are the real deal on this website, but you can buy some imitations at a hobby store. Also scattered around the room she put different sized large candles, just regular ones like you would have in your house, and grouped them together in a circle on top of a mirror and that also added the reflection of the flames which really warmed up the room.
Table Crystals

You can buy big bunches of flowers at Trader Joes/Costco/Sam's and make your own centerpieces. Buy vases at a glasswarehouse and fill the base of the vase (mason jars will work/but I think Mason jars are better for an outdoor/summer wedding) colored glass pebbles to match your color scheme. You can get the glass pebbles at a craft store. You can also scatter some of these pebbles on the tables.

I was about to say the exact same:LOL:
Not sure what stores you have, here , we have Hobby Lobby and Michael's MJ Designs. You can' buy the colored sea rocks, glass whatever, for just a few dollars and they are pretty. The flowers are all sizes, breeds and colors. They have pretty cheap vases too.
Another thing you could do is small bowls with the glass in the bottom and floaters candles? There are endless things you can do cheap. You can even get ideas from the craft stores. Just find the right dept and tell them what you are doing, most will be over joyed to help you think of something.
You will have to take pics and show us what you did too;)

I used to do a lot of weddings when I had the flower shop.

One very simple, but elegant table decoration is a brandy snifter with a single flower floating in water. I like using a large mum or a gardenia, but any flower, fresh or silk, will work. Set the container on a piece of leather leaf fern or other attractive leaf which has been sprayed with leaf gloss. If the guests are sitting at long tables, set several snifters down the length of the table. You can purchase the leaf gloss from your florist.

Candles are always a nice addition, but I'd advise buying dripless candles from your florist. I've had bad experiences with the cheaper ones.
Buy some oasis from him as well, and cut to fit a saucer or other low container and place three candles in it, then fill in with evergreen trimmed from someone's bushes. Spray the evergreen with leaf gloss once the arrangement is done and dust with a little silver glitter.

The items I mentioned buying from your florist may also be available at your craft store.

JP the wedding is in April. I know she talked about the mirror on the table. Thanks for the suggestions already made and keep them coming, I'll print them all out and give them to my DD

I went to a wedding once where there were lots of family photos used as decorations. I really liked that.

Balloons in the wedding colors
flowers
candles

Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive reception decorations. Table center pieces, wall decorations etc. ? There is not much of a budget so I'm trying to see if there are thngs I can maybe make cheaper then renting or buying stuff. I was hoping DD would wait a little longer, but date is set and dress is ordered, so I guess there is no more hoping. Any help would be great.

I did an oscar party and dinner party using clear christmas balls/ornaments in a cylindrical vases. I removed the clips from the round balls & piled them into the vase/bowl. I used the clear balls/ornaments suspended on clear nylon thread, in graduated lengths, on the ceiling. The over all effect looked like glass floating bubbles. You might also try string curtains (look under wildthings on the web) for the walls. I used black string curtains as a window treatment in one room, & saw an entire window using white string curtains on Kimora's life in the Fab lane show. The black string curtains (as I recall) were used at the Academy Awards.

I bought my clear ball/ornaments on ebay, but you might find them in bulk at a christmas store. I also purchased grass (something or other - sorry the name escapes me - but it was under wedding decorations? on ebay). I used silver & white, & put them in very small vases. You can go with the colors of choice.

Floating candles is another way to go. Found a bunch of snowflake floating candles at a 99 cent store years ago. Check out 99 cent stores & christmas ornament stores that sell in bulk, for a better price.

BTW - I bought the clear glass christmas balls/ornaments to make mobiles, but never had the time to get to it.

when my youngest grandson were getting ready for their wedding, they asked me to do the center pieces for each table at the reception. there were 12 tables for sit down dinner.

i cut circles from white satin fabric. hemmed. then hot
glued a pearl strand oneach one around the edge. you can buy pearl trim at joann's fabric.

when circles were done, placed on table with small fish bowls in the center with a single flower in each.

we did it for 1/4 of price at a wedding supply and that was only to rent. :cool:

One wedding I catered I helped with some of the decorating as well. Again cost was a factor. For the tables we bought vases at the dollar store (dollar each) and got napkins in the colours there too. We put a large unfolded napkin in the darker colour down first and centred a smaller one in the lighter colour on top. Then added the vase with a single gerbera daisy in the centre. You could use carnations, whatever matches and are inexpensive. Then they got cheap (35 cent) votive holders in the colours and put one in front of each table setting. The candles are cheap when bought in bags of 100 and while lit make a beautiful table decoration. The bride made stickers with their name and date on the bottom of the holders and they doubled as the giveaway. It was all very simple and elegant.

Thanks everyone, passed all the ideas onto my DD, hopefully she can decide on something so I can start buying material

Did you Google "wedding decorations"? You might get some great ideas that way.

You might also think about using some live plants for decoration. I used to use a lot of ferns in stands, palms and even blooming plants, to pretty up the party room. Since the wedding is in April, a lot will be available, and you and other family members can then use the plants on your porch or deck.

constance, I googled yesterday and also got on ebay, found some floating oil candles that she loves, you can put colored oil in them. I hope that's a start, but she is changing her mind every other day. Told her thast if she expects me to help buy these things I need to do a little at a time. I can't afford everything in one shot.

Back
Top Bottom