"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Wedding reception decorations

Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive reception decorations. Table center pieces, wall decorations etc. ? There is not much of a budget so I'm trying to see if there are thngs I can maybe make cheaper then renting or buying stuff. I was hoping DD would wait a little longer, but date is set and dress is ordered, so I guess there is no more hoping. Any help would be great.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Do they have any sort of theme?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Colors are are kindof a deep jade and pink, other then that no theme
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Sous Chef

You can buy big bunches of flowers at Trader Joes/Costco/Sam's and make your own centerpieces. Buy vases at a glasswarehouse and fill the base of the vase (mason jars will work/but I think Mason jars are better for an outdoor/summer wedding) colored glass pebbles to match your color scheme. You can get the glass pebbles at a craft store. You can also scatter some of these pebbles on the tables.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Head Chef

My sister put a mirror in the center of the table with her flower arrangement on top of it so you would have the reflection of the flowers and colors then she took this idea of scattering cut crystals on the mirror and let them spill over onto part of the table. These crystals are the real deal on this website, but you can buy some imitations at a hobby store. Also scattered around the room she put different sized large candles, just regular ones like you would have in your house, and grouped them together in a circle on top of a mirror and that also added the reflection of the flames which really warmed up the room.
Table Crystals
Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace View Post
You can buy big bunches of flowers at Trader Joes/Costco/Sam's and make your own centerpieces. Buy vases at a glasswarehouse and fill the base of the vase (mason jars will work/but I think Mason jars are better for an outdoor/summer wedding) colored glass pebbles to match your color scheme. You can get the glass pebbles at a craft store. You can also scatter some of these pebbles on the tables.
I was about to say the exact same
Not sure what stores you have, here , we have Hobby Lobby and Michael's MJ Designs. You can' buy the colored sea rocks, glass whatever, for just a few dollars and they are pretty. The flowers are all sizes, breeds and colors. They have pretty cheap vases too.
Another thing you could do is small bowls with the glass in the bottom and floaters candles? There are endless things you can do cheap. You can even get ideas from the craft stores. Just find the right dept and tell them what you are doing, most will be over joyed to help you think of something.
You will have to take pics and show us what you did too
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Executive Chef

What time of the year is the wedding?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Master Chef

I used to do a lot of weddings when I had the flower shop.

One very simple, but elegant table decoration is a brandy snifter with a single flower floating in water. I like using a large mum or a gardenia, but any flower, fresh or silk, will work. Set the container on a piece of leather leaf fern or other attractive leaf which has been sprayed with leaf gloss. If the guests are sitting at long tables, set several snifters down the length of the table. You can purchase the leaf gloss from your florist.

Candles are always a nice addition, but I'd advise buying dripless candles from your florist. I've had bad experiences with the cheaper ones.
Buy some oasis from him as well, and cut to fit a saucer or other low container and place three candles in it, then fill in with evergreen trimmed from someone's bushes. Spray the evergreen with leaf gloss once the arrangement is done and dust with a little silver glitter.

The items I mentioned buying from your florist may also be available at your craft store.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

JP the wedding is in April. I know she talked about the mirror on the table. Thanks for the suggestions already made and keep them coming, I'll print them all out and give them to my DD
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I went to a wedding once where there were lots of family photos used as decorations. I really liked that.

Balloons in the wedding colors
flowers
candles